Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help! My significant other is "illegal"/Notario-Notary/K-1 + I-601 process in CDJ

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Points: 31,026, Level: 77
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation First ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!25000 Experience PointsAdmin
    Most Popular

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,540 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 46 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 48 Secs

    Help! My significant other is "illegal"/Notario-Notary/K-1 + I-601 process in CDJ

    For the most recent (February 2011) version of this document, please click here:!-My-foreign-spouse-or-fiance-is-was-present-in-the-US-illegally.-What-do-I-do

    To view the 2008 version, click the button below.

    "I am a U.S. citizen and my boyfriend/girlfriend/fiance/wife/husband is 'illegal' - what do I do?"

    A lot of people land on immigrate2us with the same basic problem, something akin to the statement above.

    If you are in the same boat, please read this before posting your questions on the forum. Hopefully it will give you a good starting point, and a basic outline of the process.

    There are additional resources available on the links.

    A few important notes and terms to start:

    The information on this thread assumes the significant other, also known as the intending immigrant, has entered the U.S. without inspection (EWI).

    In most cases, EWI immigrants are not eligible for in-country adjustment of status (the process undertaken by filing form I-485 concurrently with the I-130 petition), even when they are married to a U.S. citizen (USC). The exception is if the intending immigrant is eligible under 245i. If it's possible that a petition was filed on the immigrant's behalf by April 30, 2001, or think you might be eligible under 245i for some other reason, please read this immihelp page on 245i, otherwise known as the Life Act, or consult a trusted immigration attorney.

    (Add something about Cancellation of Removal)

    Generally though, anyone who EWI and seeks legal status must go through consular processing, meaning a foreign consulate, usually in their own country, will process their visa, before they can re-enter the U.S. legally and attain lawful permanent resident (LPR) status.

    If you are wondering about the process for a person who entered the U.S. on a valid visa, overstayed and is still in living in the U.S., please see this guide for Adjustment of Status on the family based immigration site. If your significant other entered the U.S. on a valid visa, overstayed for more than 365 days, and then left on their own or was deported, they will have a ban similar to a person who EWI, so this guide is relevant.

    Please know that beginning this process does not protect the unlawfully present immigrant from detention, removal or any other immigration-related sanction. At the same time, starting the process is not known to trigger any immigration-related sanctions. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has lots of work to do without chasing down those immigrants who are attempting to do the right thing.

    In almost all cases an EWI intending immigrant will need an I-601 waiver for the inadmissibility caused by their unlawful presence in the U.S. (They will also need an I-212 waiver if they were formally deported/removed from the U.S.) Please review carefully the eligibility section for I-601 waivers. A big mistake many people make is pursuing this process and finding out late in the game that they will not be eligible for a waiver for ten years or for life.

    You can find more commonly used acronyms here.
    I. The first step to gaining permanent residence for any foreign relative of a U.S. citizen is to file a petition for an alien fiance/relative.
    A. If you are engaged, you need to file form I-129F (petition for alien fiancé) - $455 (timelines)
    1. Note: The only way to pursue this process for a person who EWI and was unlawfully present for more than 180 days after their 18th birthday is for him/her to be married to or eventually marry a USC. If you are dating an undocumented immigrant and hoping to help them get legal, but not ready to commit, you are stuck.
    B. If you are already married, you need to file form I-130 (petition for alien relative) - $355 (timelines)
    1. If you are married, have received receipt for the I-130, and wish to speed up your consular visa interview, you can concurrently file the I-129F. This only makes sense in some cases with some countries and for too many reasons to list here. Filing the I-129F after the I-130 is entirely optional, but has become common practice for many people on immigrate2us in recent years. The upside is that it will speed up the visa interview, and if the couple is already living apart, this can be a very good thing. The downside is that after the immigrant has his/her visa and enters the U.S., he/she will need to file the Adjustment of Status paperwork (form I-485 at a whopping $1010) and will not be immediately able to work upon entering the U.S.
    II. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will send you a Notice of Action (NOA) or two for your I-130 or I-129F. These simply indicate that your petition is in process.
    A. If you are married and filed the I-130, as soon as you receive the first NOA you may file the I-129F, as described directly above.
    III. You will receive notice of approval for your petition, followed by several forms and requests for fees. Here is a helpful NVC Flowchart for Immigrant Visas from the family based immigration site for this process.
    A. Choice of Agent form (DS-3032)
    1. If you have an attorney, they can be your agent, otherwise use as permanent an address in the U.S. that you can find. This is where all further mailings and notifications will be sent. Changing your address with USCIS is a nightmare. If you anticipate moving before the end of the process, best to use a more permanent address like that of a parent's home.
    B. Affidavit of Support bill
    C. Affidavit of Support (form I-864)
    1. It is important during this process that the USC petitioner or a combination of the USC and others have enough income to meet 125% of the poverty line. If the USC petitioner does not earn enough money to meet 125% of the poverty for the immigrant and his/her dependents, you must find a co-sponsor who can make up the difference.
    D. Visa application (Part I of DS-230)
    IV. After all the above paperwork is completed, you will wait for an appointment at the foreign consulate. USCIS will mail you a letter stating that your visa processing is complete and give you a time for your interview. These letters arrive anywhere from 1-2 months before the scheduled interview date.
    Note: It's an excellent idea to keep an eye on the timelines of other forum members in order to prepare your I-601 waiver well in advance.
    V. Before the visa interview
    A. Medical exam: All spousal applicants are required to get a medical exam and a number of vaccinations before their visa interview. Fiancé intending immigrants can wait until they enter the U.S. and file for adjustment of status. There is generally no reason to get the exam or any vaccinations in advance in the U.S., because they will require them to be repeated anyway. After the exam, the intending immigrant will be given the results from the exam which need to be taken (still sealed) to the interview, usually the next business day.
    1. In Ciudad Juarez (CDJ), where all Mexican applicants have their interviews, there are only two approved clinics that administer the exams.

    NOTE: There have been many reports of the doctors and nurses at the clinics in CDJ asking immigration and criminal history-related questions. While there is concern about these practices, it is advised to answer all questions truthfully. They are also trying to determine if an immigrant might be ineligible on grounds that they are a drug user or abuse alcohol. Admitting to even experimentation with marijuana or occasional use of any drug can result in a three-year bar where no waiver can be filed and the immigrant must remain outside the United States.
    2. For information on medical exams for immigrants processing through other Consulates, look/ask in the I-601 - all other countries forum.

    3. For Fiance/Fiancees - K-1 procedures may be somewhat different. Please read gatita's CDJ checklist for K-1s before you go.
    VI. The visa interview
    A. The officer at the visa interview, after asking a few questions about the intending immigrant's immigration history and relationship to his/her USC spouse, will inform them that they are not eligible for a visa because of unlawful presence, and determine whether they are eligible for the I-601 waiver.
    VII. The I-601 waiver of inadmissibility
    A. Any intending immigrant who EWI and accumulated more than 180 days of illegal presence in the U.S. (after their 18th birthday, AND after April 1, 1997) will not be immediately granted their visa at their first consular interview. Please read the paragraphs under 212(a) (9)(B) at the Shusterman page. Basically:
    1. if the immigrant EWI-ed AND accumulated between 180 and 364 days of unlawful presence in the U.S. (after their 18th birthday AND after April 1, 1997), they are subject to a 3-year bar.
    2. if the immigrant EWI-ed AND accumulated more than 365 days of unlawful presence in the U.S. (after their 18th birthday AND after April 1, 1997), they are subject to a 10-year bar.
    B. Immigrants who are subject to either of these two bars may be eligible for the I-601 waiver, based on the claim that the USC petitioner will suffer extreme hardship were the immigrant not re-admitted to the U.S. for three or ten years. The I-601 waiver is key to this entire process. Read more details here on I-601 waivers found at family based immigration.

    C. VERY IMPORTANT: If a person EWI AND accumulated more than 365 days of unlawful presence (after April 1, 1007) AND has either been formally removed or otherwise left the U.S. and re-entered or re-attempts EWI, they fall under 212(a)(9)(c) of the law, meaning they have a lifetime bar from the U.S. AND cannot submit a waiver for ten years. There is no exception, in this case, if the person was under 18 during their first stay of unlawful presence.
    1. If you are concerned about a complicated situation and your eligibility for the waiver, please see EWI, Bans & What you should know before you file. Those with a complicated history should seek the advice of an attorney knowledgeable about waiver eligibility. A good start is to ask attorney Laurel Scott in her free chat most Wednesday at her website,

    2. If you are indeed ineligible for the waiver, it is generally not advised to go to the visa interview. Your options are to wait in the U.S. hoping the laws will change, or relocate to the immigrant's home country, or some other third country, and wait ten years, at which time you may request a visa interview and file a waiver.
    D. Depending on how your Consulate interprets the law, some immigrants with criminal records or a history of drug use may be subject to a three-year wait to file a waiver, even if they are otherwise eligible.

    E. Other "Complications" - If any of the following items could apply to you, we strongly recommend consulting with a trusted immigration attorney before moving forward. There are too many scenarios to list all of them here, so if there is something nagging at you besides the things mentioned below, please visit the appropriate waivers forum, and post your situation. Here is a list of attorneys recommended by I2US members.
    1. There is a LIFETIME BAR with no waiver ever for those with any drug crime besides a single, simple possession of marijuana. Also, if there is something on one's record that creates just "suspicion" that the intending immigrant is a drug trafficker, the consular officer can impose this lifetime bar with no waiver. No history of drug use should be taken lightly, even if it seems minor. Please consult a trusted immigration attorney and seek the advice of many people before going forward if your significant other has any of these issues.

    2. There is also a LIFETIME BAR with no waiver for anyone who falsely claimed U.S. citizenship for an immigration benefit. For example, if your significant other was caught using a U.S. citizen's birth certificate to enter the U.S. after 1996, he/she would not be eligible for residency ever. It is critical to speak to an attorney if this applies to you.

    3. Any history of gang activity can also cause a lifetime bar with no waiver. I can't comment on this at all - other than to say - please speak to an attorney before going forward.

    4. There is a 5-year ban (with no waiver) for immigrants who have skipped an immigration court hearing in the U.S. The most common instance of this is a non-Mexican who EWI through the U.S.-Mexico border, was stopped by border patrol, detained briefly, given a court date for some time later and then released into the U.S. Typically, people skip these court dates and remain in the U.S. This is a bar under 212(a)(6)(B).

    Just to clarify, Mexicans in this situation (caught by BP in the wilderness) are generally taken back across the border and not given any sort of formal removal (or a court date), so this bar does not, by any means, apply to everyone caught crossing the border.

    However, if at some time during a person's stay in the U.S., they were issued an immigration court date but DID NOT ATTEND, this bar would apply once they leave the U.S. As of Dec. 2008, several members from Guatemala and Honduras and several members filing in Lima have been stuck with this bar AFTER filing their I-601, so please be careful if this could apply.
    F. Extreme Hardship and the I-601
    1. In order to have your waiver approved, you will need to prove that the USC will suffer extreme hardship were the intending immigrant not allowed to re-enter the U.S. for 3/10 years.
    a. While it might seem obvious to most of us that a 10-year separation or forced relocation to another country constitutes extreme hardship, that is not enough, even for the least stringent Consulates.

    b. Attorney Laurel Scott has an excellent memo on the I-601 waiver, the strength of different arguments and common ineligibilities on her website.
    2. Resources: There is a ton of information here on immigrate2us, the Ciudad Juarez immigration forum and the family based immigration forum on proving extreme hardship.
    a. Review the "stickys" in the I-601 - Mexico and I-601 - All other countries areas of

    b. Check out the sample hardship letters for members who have already been approved through Mexico and all the other Consulates.

    c. Also check out Laurel Scott's tips for putting together the supporting documents and evidence for your waiver.
    VIIIa. CDJ Special Procedures for Filing I-601 Waivers
    A. If your immigrant relative is Mexican, and therefore processing through CDJ, they will be able to file their I-601 (and I-212, if relevant) through what is commonly referred to as the pilot program, which allows immediate review of I-601 waivers. This program does not exist at any other Consulate as of now.
    B. Anyone needing to file a waiver through CDJ needs to call to make an appointment at least three business days after their visa interview (where they will be denied the visa and hopefully told they are eligible for the waiver). As of winter 2008, there is generally 2-8 weeks between the visa interview and the waiver appointment. The best way to minimize this is to track the Case Complete Process through NVC, and start calling so you find out about your visa interview as soon as possible, at which point you can call CDJ and set up the waiver appointment.
    C. As of December 2007, appointments are no longer made online, but instead scheduled by calling the Consulate's Call Center (900-476-1212 from the United States or 01-900-849-49-49 from Mexico). To use a credit card, call 800-919-1754 from the United States or 01-477-788-70-70 from Mexico. You can call as soon as you receive notification of your interview, but do not be alarmed if you have to call several times. After the appointment is scheduled they will e-mail a confirmation.
    D. At the Infopass appointment, the immigrant will submit the I-601 waiver ($545, timelines) along with their hardship letter (and/or legal brief) and accompanying evidence. While the intending immigrant waits, the officer will determine if the waiver is "clearly approvable."
    1. If the waiver is deemed "clearly approvable," by the officer, the intending immigrant will be given the visa that day or the next.
    a. There is no guarantee that a waiver will be found "clearly approvable," but the experiences of I2US members generally suggest that if there is no criminal history or deportations, AND the applicants provide sufficient documentation for all the claims made the brief or hardship letter, there is a very good chance they will be approved. Please see the first page of Azul y Vampy's Thread for CDJ First Interviews for information on pilot program waiver approvals.
    2. Intending immigrants whose waivers are not found "clearly approvable" are not denied on the spot. They are simply put into the backlog for further review. The immigrant will be given a sheet that usually states there was not enough evidence for extreme hardship, or in some cases that background checks were still pending.
    a. If this happens, it is an excellent idea to send in more information to support one's case. At that point the intending immigrant will have to wait outside the U.S. until a decision is made.
    For a detailed account of what goes on in CDJ please see the Experiences Thread.
    VIIIb. I-601 Waivers through all other Consulates
    A. After the officer denies the visa and determines the immigrant is eligible for the I-601 waiver, they will be instructed on when and where to submit the waiver.

    B. Depending on the country and consulate that will either be that day, a few days later, or at an appointment set a few weeks out. Waivers are sent to a nearby Department of Homeland Security office and adjudicated in 2-18 months.

    C. If the waiver is approved, they will receive a notification of waiver approval usually followed by an appointment to return to the Consulate to pick up the visa.

    D. Please look for country-specific information on waiver submission and approval rates in the I-601 waivers - all other countries forum and read Laurel Scott's notes on her experiences filing through various foreign consulates.
    IX. Legal!
    A. After the waiver is approved and the intending immigrant receives the visa, he/she is free to return to the U.S.
    1. If you are already married and have filed only the I-130 petition, the immigrant will enter the U.S. with either an IR (immediate residency) or CR (conditional residency, if you have been married less than two years) visa. The only difference for the CR is that you will have to file to remove the conditions on the CR with form I-751 before the two-year anniversary of receiving your CR status. With either visa you may begin working immediately, and you will receive your permanent residence card in a matter of weeks. Please see the guide to arriving in America on an immigrant visa on the family-based immigration forum for more information.
    2. If you filed an I-129F for a fiance, you will have to marry within 90 days and then begin filing to adjustment of status. Likewise, if you are married, but file the I-130 and then the I-129F, you will need to file for adjustment of status before the immigrant can begin working. Filing for an EAD first can speed up the process for him/her to begin working.
    Last edited by Los G; 02-27-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: edited by Laura 12-10-08

  2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Jardinera For This Useful Post:

    1MessedUpSourPatchKid (08-16-2009),Alexis (09-17-2009),ashley.diaz (06-10-2010),ashleywg (01-22-2009),BabyDoll702 (04-16-2009),burch (08-13-2010),Cakelette2345 (12-18-2010),ChicaAzteca (04-14-2010),DavisGirl72 (08-06-2009),dysodia (09-25-2009),Elvira (10-21-2009),erito (09-02-2010),FlorDeAmor (01-21-2009),jessie10503 (07-08-2010),KLF14 (07-23-2010),l0veGod (12-20-2010),mallory (11-21-2009),Marisela09 (08-25-2009),meighan75 (03-05-2010),MexiRicanDiva (10-20-2009),mikeB (11-24-2009),mrsED (11-02-2010),mz.n (02-21-2011),Naeblis (05-15-2009),normamc288 (05-25-2009),Rafasgal (03-15-2009),Spooky414 (05-02-2010),Tonya923 (09-13-2010),Tricia Smits Chavez (08-27-2010),yogirlautumn (09-05-2009)

  3. #2
    Super Moderator
    Points: 31,026, Level: 77
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation First ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!25000 Experience PointsAdmin
    Most Popular

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,540 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 46 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 48 Secs

    Aydame! Mi pareja no tiene papeles! Qu puedo hacer?

    Soy ciudadano(a) estadounidense y mi novio(a)/prometido(a)/esposo(a) es "legal" - Qu puedo hacer?"

    Muchas personas llegan a este sitio ( con la misma pregunta sobre esta situacin, o algo similar al problema descrito arriba.

    Si te encuentras en una situacin similar, favor de leer esta pgina antes de hacer preguntas en el foro. Esperamos que esta informacin sea un buen punto de partida y un resumen bsico del proceso.

    Hay mas recursos disponibles en los enlaces.

    Algunos puntos importantes y terminologa para empezar:
    La informacn en este tema asume que la pareja extranjera, tambin conocido como el solicitante, ha entrado a los Estados Unidos sin inspeccin (EWI) o "sin papeles" o ilegalmente.

    En la mayoria de los casos, los inmigrantes EWI no pueden ajustar su estatus dentro del pais, aunque el inmigrante est casado con un ciudadano(a) estadounidense (USC). La nica excepcin ocurre si el inmigrante es elegible bajo la ley 245i. Si es possible que una peticin fue hecha para el inmigrante antes del 30 de abril del 2001, o si piensas que ests elegible bajo la ley 245i por cualquier otra razn, favor de leer esta pgina de immihelp on 245i.

    Por lo general, cualquier inmigrante EWI que quiere obtener estatus legal debe hacer un proceso consular. Esto quiere decir que el consulado americano en el extranjero (usualmente en su pas de origen) procesar su visa antes de poder entrar a los Estados Unidos legalmente y obtener el estatus de residente permanente (PR).

    Si tiene preguntas sobre el proceso para una persona que entr a los Estados Unidos legalmente utilizando una visa vlida y se qued despus que su visa expir y todavia est viviendo en los EEUU, favor de leer la gua para Ajuste de Estatus en el sitio

    Es importante comprender que el comenzar este proceso no ofrece proteccin al inmigrante "legal" de ser detenido, deportado, o recibir cualquier otra sancin de inmigracin. Pero normalmente, iniciar el proceso tampoco significa que Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) ser notificado y buscar al inmigrante.

    En casi todos los casos, un inmigrante EWI necesitar un perdn I-601 por la inadmisibilidad causada por su presencia ilegal en los EEUU. (Si fue deportado/removido formalmente de los Estados Unidos tambin necesitar un perdn I-212). Favor de revisar con cuidado la sección de elegibilidad para los perdones I-601. Un gran error que hacen algunas personas es empezar este proceso sin averiguar que no serán elegibles para un perdn por 10 aos. Hay mas informacin en el tema EWI (Entrada Sin Inspeccin), Prohibiciones de Entrada y Lo qu usted debe saber antes de hacer su peticin.


    I. El primer paso para obtener la residencia permanente de tu pareja es hacer una peticin para un prometido(a)/esposo(a) extranjero(a).
    A. Si estás comprometido, necesitas usar la forma I-129F (peticin para prometido extranjero) - con un costo de $455
    1. Nota: La nica forma posible de realizar este proceso para una persona que EWI y ha acumulado 180 das o ms de presencia ilegal despus de cumplir 18 aos es si esta persona est casado(a) con una ciudadano(a) estadounidense (o va a casarse con uno(a)). Si tienes pareja indocumentada y la quieres ayudar con su legalizacin, pero no ests listo para casarte, no tienes otra opcin.
    B. Si ests casado(a), necesitas usar la forma I-130 (peticin para pariente extranjero) - con un costo de $355
    1. Si ests casado, tienes tu recibo para la forma I-130, y deseas hacer ms rpido el proceso de obtener una entrevista consular, puedes mandar la forma I-129F tambin. Esta opcin solamente sirve en algunos casos en algunos pases especficos - hay bastantes razones para decirlas todas aqu. Mandar la I-129f despus de la I-130 es completamente opcional, pero es una opcin que muchas personas de immigrate2us han elegido recientemente. Lo positivo es que llegar ms rpido la entrevista para la visa, y si la pareja ya est viviendo separados, esta opcin tiene muchos beneficios. Lo negativo es que despus que el inmigrante tiene su visa y entra en los EEUU, es necesario hacer los papeles de ajuste de estatus (la forma I-485 - $1010) y no podr trabajar inmediatamente cuando entre al pas.
    II. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) te mandar unas noticias de recibido (Notice of Action o NOA) para tu I-130 o I-129f. Estas formas simplemente dicen que tu peticin est procesando.
    A. Si ests casado e hizo la I-130, puedes mandar la I-129F cuando recibas tu NOA de la I-130 (opcional).
    III. Recibirs noticia de aprobacin para tu peticin, seguida por varias formas y pedidos por multa. Aqu est un delineamento del Centro Nacional de Visas para visas de inmigrante del sitio
    A. Eleccin de Agente (forma DS-3032)
    1. Si tienes abogado, l puede ser tu agente; si no, usa tu direccin permanente en los EEUU. Este lugar es donde llegarn todas las notificaciones en el futuro. Es complicado cambiar tu direccin con USCIS. Si anticipas mudarte antes del fin del proceso, ser mejor usar una direccin permanente, como la de un familiar.
    B. Cuenta de Declaracin de Apoyo
    C. Declaracin de Apoyo (forma I-864)
    1. Durante este proceso, es muy importante que el peticionario (USC) o una combinacin del USC y otros ganen lo suficiente para llegar a 125% de la lnea de pobreza. Si el USC no gana suficiente dinero para llegar a 125% de la lnea de pobreza para el inmigrante y sus dependientes, tienes que buscar un co-patrocinador que gane la diferencia.
    D. Aplicación de Visa (Parte I del DS-230)
    IV. Despus de completar todas estas formas, esperars una cita del consulado extranjero. USCIS te mandar una carta que dice que el proceso de tu visa a sido completado y te dar una fecha para tu entrevista. Estas cartas llegan de 1 a 2 meses antes de la fecha de la entrevista.
    Nota: Usa las lneas de tiempo de los otros miembros del foro para preparar tu perdn I-601 con tiempo suficiente.
    V. Antes de la entreviste de visa
    A. Examen medico: Es requisito que todos los solicitantes casados tengan un examen mdico y recibn varias vacunas antes de su entrevista. Los solicitantes comprometidos pueden esperar hasta despus de que entran a los EEUU y hacen su papeleo para ajuste de estatus. Generalmente, no hay porque hacerse un examen mdico o recibir vacunas en avance en los EEUU, porque es requisito que el solicitante los vuelva a repetir. Despus del examen, el solicitante recibir los resultados del examen. El solicitante debera traer estos resultados (sellados) a la entrevista, que usualmente es el da de negocio siguiente.
    1. En Ciudad Jurez (CDJ), donde todos los solicitantes mexicanos tienen sus entrevistas, solamente hay dos clnicas aprobadas que hacen estos exmenes.
    NOTA: Hay reportajes de los doctores y enfermeras en las clnicas en CDJ que hacen preguntas sobre inmigracin y el historial criminal de los solicitantes. Aunque hay mucha preocupacin sobre estas prcticas, es recomendable que el solicitante conteste a todas las preguntas en una manera honesta. Es posible que ellos estn intentando determinar si el solicitante inelegible por el uso de drogas o alcohol. Si el solicitante admite haber experimentado con marihuana o uso ocasional de cualquier droga, puede resultar en una prohibicin de 3 aos en que el solicitante debe quedarse fuera de los EEUU y no pueda someter ningn perdn hasta entonces.
    2. Para informacin sobre exmenes mdicos de otros pases, favor de mirar/preguntar en el foro I-601 - all other countries.
    VI. La entrevista de visa
    A. El funcionario en la entrevista de visa, desps de hacer algunas preguntas sobre la historia del solicitante y su relacin con su pareja estadounidense, informar al solicitante que no es elegible para una visa por su presencia ilegal, y determinar si es elegible para el perdn I-601.

    VII. El perdn de inadmisibilidad I-601
    A. Cualquier solicitante que entr sin inspeccin y ha acumulado mas de 180 das de presencia ilegal en los EEUU (despus de cumplir 18 aos, Y despus del primero de abril 1997) no ser aprobado inmediatamente para su visa en su primera entrevista consular. Favor de leer los prrafos baj 212(a)(9)(B) a la pgina Shusterman. Bsicamente:
    1. si el inmigrante entr sin inspeccin/sin permiso Y ha acumulado entre 180 y 364 das de presencia ilegal en los EEUU (despus de cumplir 18 aos Y despus del primero de abril 1997) recibir una prohibicin de 3 aos.
    2. si el inmigrante es EWI Y ha acumulado más que 365 das de presencia ilegal en los EEUU (despus de cumplir 18 aos Y despus del primero de abril 1997) recibir una prohibicin de 10 aos.
    B. Inmigrantes que reciben una de las dos prohibiciones puede ser elegibles para el perdn I-601, basado en el reclamo que el peticionario sufrir "extreme hardship," o dificultad extrema, si el inmigrante no es admitido a los estados unidos por 3 o 10 aos. El perdn I-601 es lo mas importante en este proceso entero. Lee ms detalles aqu sobre el perdn I-601 encontrado en el sitio de
    C. MUY IMPORTANTE: Si una persona entr ilegalmente Y ha acumulado ms de 365 das de presencia ilegal en los EEUU (despus del primero de abril 1997) Y ha sido deportado/ removido formalmente o voluntariamente de EEUU y vuelve a entrar o intenta de volver a entrar, el/ella cae baj la seccin 212(a)(9)(c) de la ley, que significa que tiene una prohibicin para toda la vida Y no puede solicitar un perdn por 10 aos.
    1. Si ests preocupado sobre una situacin complicada y tu elegibilidad para un perdn, favor de leer EWI, Prohibiciones & Que debes de saber antes de hacer tu peticin. Los que tienen una historia complicada debe buscar el consejo de un abogado informado sobre elegibilidad para perdones. Una buena manera de empezar es de preguntarle a la abogada Laurel Scott en su chat grtis los mircoles a su sitio de web,
    2. Si no eres elegible para un perdn, no es aconsejable que vayas a tu entrevista de visa. Tus opciones son de esperar en los EEUU con la esperanza que las leyes cambien, o mudarte al pas del inmigrante, o cualquier otra pas, y esperar 10 aos, en que tiempo puedes pedir una entrevista de visa y solicitar un perdn I-601.
    D. Depende de la manera en que tu consulado interprete la ley, algunos solicitantes con delitos criminales o una historia de uso de drogas pueden recibir una prohibicin de 3 aos antes de poder solicitar un perdn, aunque sean elegibles de otro modo.
    E. Dificultad extrema y el perdn I-601
    1. Para que tu perdn sea aprobado, necesitars demostrar que el USC sufrir dificultades extremas si al inmigrante no le es permitido entrar a los EEUU por 3/10 aos.
    a. Aunque parece obvio a la mayora de nosotros que una separacin de una pareja por 10 aos constituye "dificultad extrema," esto no es suficiente, ni para el consulado menos estricto.
    b. La abogada Laurel Scott tiene un memo excelente sobre el perdn I-601, el impacto de varios argumentos, e inelegibilidades comunes en su sitio.
    2. Recursos: Hay bastante informacin aqu en immigrate2us sobre cmo demostrar dificultades extremas para el perdn.
    a. Revisa los "stickys" en I-601 - Mexico y I-601 - All other countries en
    b. Investiga ejemplos de cartas de dificultades (hardship letters o HSL) de miembros que han sido aprobados en Mxico y otros consulados.
    c. Tambin investiga informacin til de Laurel Scott sobre cmo reunir tus documentos y evidencia para tu perdn.

    d. Otros recursos utiles.
    VIIIa. Ciudad Jurez (CDJ) - el programa piloto y la cita del perdon I-601
    A. Si el solicitante est procesando en CDJ, podr hacer su I-601 (y I-212, si es necesario) usando un programa conocido como el "pilot program," que permite que un perdn I-601 se revisado inmediatamente. Este programa no existe en consulados fuera de Mxico en este momento.
    B. Los solicitantes que necesiten someter su perdn necesitan hacer una cita por lo menos tres das hbiles despus de su entrevista de visa (donde sern negados para sus visas y, a lo mejor, informados que estn elegibles para el perdn.
    C. Desde diciembre 2007, las citas no se hacen por internet, pero por llamar al consulado (900-476-1212 en los EEUU o 01-900-849-49-49 en Mxico). Para usar una tarjeta de crdito, marque 800-919-1754 en los EEUU o 01-477-788-70-70 en Mxico. Puedes marcar al momento que recibas noticias de tu entrevista, pero no te asustes si tienes que marcar varias veces. Despus de hacer la cita, recibirs una confirmacin por correo electrnico.
    D. A la cita del perdn, el solicitante someter el perdn I-601 ($545) junto con su carta de dificultades (HSL) o "legal brief" y la evidencia que la acompaa. Cuando el solicitante est esperando, el funcionario determinar si el perdn es "claramente aprobable."
    1. Si el perdn es "claramente aprobable," el solicitante recibir su visa unas das siguientes sobre DHL (lee aqu para ms informacin).
    a. No existe ninguna garanta que un perdn ser "claramente aprobable" pero las experiencias de los miembros de I2US sugieren que si no hay historia criminal ni deportaciones, y si el solicitante y peticionario dan suficientes pruebas y documentacin por todos los reclamos hecho en el HSL, hay una buena probabilidad que sern aprobados. Favor de revisar la primera pgina de Azul y Vampy's Thread for CDJ First Interviews para informacin sobre aprobaciones del programa piloto.
    2. Solicitantes que tienen perdones que no estn "claramente aprobables" no estn negados en ese momento. El perdn simplemente es referido para mas consideracin la cual requiere mas tiempo. El solicitante recibir una hoja que dice que no haba suficiente evidencia para comprobar dificultad extrema, o en algunos casos faltaban las investigaciones de la historia criminal.
    a. Si pasa esto, es buena idea mandar ms informacin para apoyar su caso. En ese momento, el inmigrante deber quedarse fuera de los EEUU hasta que haya una decisin.

    b. Tambin hay informacin y apoyo del "backlog" en este tema del
    VIIIb. El perdn I-601 en otros consulados
    A. Despus que el funcionario niega la visa y determina que el inmigrante es elegible para el perdn I-601, el solicitante recibir instrucciones en donde y cuando puede someter el perdn.
    B. Depende del pas y consulado, esto puede ser el mismo da, despus de algunos das, o a una cita despus de algunas semanas. Los perdones son mandados a una oficina del Department of Homeland Security y resueltas en 2-18 meses.
    C. Si el perdn es aprobado, el solicitante recibir noticias de la aprobacin seguida por una cita para regresar al consulado para recoger su visa.
    D. Favor de buscar informacin para tu pas sobre los perdones y aprobaciones en el foro de I-601 waivers - all other countries y lee las notas de Laurel Scott sobre sus experiencias con perdones en varios pases.
    IX. Legal!
    A. Despus que el perdn se aprueba y el solicitante recibe su visa, es libre de entrar los EEUU.
    1. Si ests casado y has hecho solamente la peticin I-130, el inmigrante entrar los EEUU con una visa de IR (residencia inmediata) o CR (residencia condicional, si ests casado por menos de 2 aos). La nica diferencia si tienes una visa de CR, tienes que pedir para remover las condiciones de la visa con la forma I-751 antes del segundo aniversario del recibo de tu visa CR. Con las dos visas, puedes empezar a trabajar inmediatamente, y recibirás tu tarjeta de residencia permanente en algunas semanas. Favor de revisar la gua de llegar en los EEUU con una visa de inmigrante en el foro para más informacin.
    2. Si hiciste la peticin I-129f para un prometido, debers casarte en el lapso de 90 das y despus hacer el papeleo para el ajuste de estatus. Tambin, si ests casado, pero hiciste el I-130 junto con el I-129f, necesitars hacer el papeleo para el ajuste de estatus antes de que el inmigrante pueda trabajar. Pedir permiso de trabajo primero puede dejarle trabajar mas pronto.
    Last edited by Jardinera; 04-05-2009 at 07:15 AM.

    Need help?
    Read the guide for legal status for an undocumented significant other and EWI & Bans: What you need to know before you file. Check out the list of Resources for Removal Proceedings.

    Need information about the I-601 Waiver proving Extreme Hardship? Read these guides!

    Important threads
    *CDJ Interviews & Waiver Appointments* *Refiling After I-601 Denial in CDJ* *CDJ Experiences* *CDJ Referred to the 'Backlog' Waivers* *I-601 Spreadsheet - For all waivers except Mexico*

    Before sending private messages, please post your questions on the public forum!

    I am NOT an attorney. Nothing I post is legal advice. Please check all information you receive on this forum with a qualified immigration attorney.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jardinera For This Useful Post:

  5. #3
    Super Moderator
    Points: 31,026, Level: 77
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 0%
    Recommendation First ClassVeteranTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!25000 Experience PointsAdmin
    Most Popular

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Thanked 2,604 Times in 1,540 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 46 Mins 21 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 48 Secs

    Are a "notary" in the United States and a "Notario" in Mexico the same?

    NO!! Here are the main differences:

    Notarios (as understood in Mexico and Central America):

    A Notario is a high-ranking government appointed official who possesses a law degree and has extensive training in a number of legal areas.

    A Notario can give legal advice and assist with disputes.


    A Notary is someone who has taken and passed a government-issued test in the United States, but does not require any formal training.

    A Notary mainly handles clerical matters, such as bearing witness to signature of documents and administering oaths.

    With very few exceptions, a person in the United States may not give advice on immigration law unless he or she is an attorney or a member of an organization, like La Casa of Goshen or Catholic Charities, which are accredited by the Board of Immigration Appeals of the U.S. Department of Justice

    (Thanks to Kitkat1 for writing this up).

    Beware of taking any immigration-related advice from someone working in the United States claiming to be a notario.

    Need help?
    Read the guide for legal status for an undocumented significant other and EWI & Bans: What you need to know before you file. Check out the list of Resources for Removal Proceedings.

    Need information about the I-601 Waiver proving Extreme Hardship? Read these guides!

    Important threads
    *CDJ Interviews & Waiver Appointments* *Refiling After I-601 Denial in CDJ* *CDJ Experiences* *CDJ Referred to the 'Backlog' Waivers* *I-601 Spreadsheet - For all waivers except Mexico*

    Before sending private messages, please post your questions on the public forum!

    I am NOT an attorney. Nothing I post is legal advice. Please check all information you receive on this forum with a qualified immigration attorney.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jardinera For This Useful Post:

    7cody (12-16-2009),Rafasgal (03-15-2009)

  7. #4
    Points: 6,492, Level: 34
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 208
    Overall activity: 0%
    VeteranTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points
    gatita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Minneapolis suburb, Minnesota and Queretaro, Mexico
    Thanked 344 Times in 324 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Day 12 Hrs 48 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    48 Secs

    Help! My significant other is "illegal"/Notario-Notary

    This checklist is specifically for K-1s who need to do an I-601 waiver in Ciudad Juarez.

    Fiances are qualifying relatives for I-601 waivers. You DO NOT need to be married to file a waiver for your fiance. A K-1 visa allows the immigrant one entry to the U.S.- it is not a multiple-entry visa.

    There currently is not an official K-1/I-601 checklist on this site for those going through CDJ. We went through the K-1/I-601 in CDJ in August 2008. This was at the old consulate, but as far as I know, the following things required are current as of today. I've been PMing people who asked for this list, but I thought it could help all K-1s going through CDJ. Good luck all.

    Make several personal copies of your open appointment letter and make one copy of the immigrant's passport bio page to keep, in case they keep his/her passport and you need the passport number for something.

    Here's a K-1 CDJ checklist that I got from MiSantito who got it from Mishu. (I got their permission to post this.) I added some notes explaining things that happened to us.

    CDJ Checklist

    Medical Appointment 6-11am M-F:
    • Open appointment letter
    • Passport
    • Vaccination Records (optional)
    • Print out “K-1 Visas do not need vaccinations”-
    If he/she would like, the immigrant can get the vaccinations in the U.S. before sending in the AOS packet. This sometimes works better because the U.S. doctors often accept vaccination records more readily than the CDJ clinics.
    • Do not eat 6 hours before exam
    • $135 + 10% tax US CASH- (I was told they only accept cash, but my fiancé paid with his credit card.)


    Pay Visa fee at Banamex ($145) - immigrant will need his/her passport number to pay- so bring the passport or at least a copy or the number

    Buy phone card- not sure about phone situation by new consulate- this may or may not apply to you. We ended up not buying a card and just paying a restaurant nearby to use their phone.

    Visa Appointment 8-10am M-F:
    • Open appointment letter
    • DS-156 – DO NOT SIGN- 2 copies
    • DS-156K – DO NOT SIGN- 2 copies
    • DS-157 – DO NOT SIGN- 2 copies (they didn’t take them, but bring just in case)
    • Banamex Receipt – Visa fee
    • Mexican Passport
    • Medical Results
    • Original + Copy of immigrant’s birth certificate
    • Original + Copy of citizen’s birth certificate- They didn’t take it, but maybe take just in case they ask for it.
    • Court Records (only if immigrant has any)
    • CDJ 401 – Intent to Marry – Immigrant DOES NOT SIGN before doing so in front of the immigration officer- do for both of you, not clear who needed to do it
    • Letter stating you know immigrant was illegally in U.S.- type it out, sign it, and have it notarized by someone at your bank- they didn’t call me in at all because it looked official.
    • 2 passport photos- immigrant
    • Approval Notice (NOA2) for I-129F
    • I-134 Affidavit of Support and all the supporting documents
    Bank letter
    Employer Letter
    Pay Stubs- brought last 6 months
    W-2s- brought last 3 years
    Tax Transcripts 2005 2006 2007
    1099 forms
    (didn't bring, so maybe you don't need to worry about these)
    • Permanent Address
    • Relationship Evidence

    Waiver Appointment:
    They were letting in people with appointments at whatever time, as long as they had an appt. that day, they let them in in the morning.
    • Waiver Appointment Confirmation Page
    • Paper saying immigrant was eligible to apply for the waiver (in Spanish- given at end of visa interview) – they didn’t take it, but I would bring just in case
    • Filled-out “Two-Way Notice of Action” (Immigrant may get it at the visa interview- fill-out by hand, can’t type it, not online.)
    • Mexican Passport
    • I-601 Waiver Application
    • G-325A (Applicant)
    • Extreme Hardship Letter with all your supporting evidence
    • Filing Fee $545 (cash or credit card)

    Visa Pick Up:
    Brand-new D-156- 2 copies- for “Have you ever been denied a visa?”- put yes, the date of your visa appt., and place- Ciudad Juarez

    Reciept for Banamex fee repaid ($145) - They have been making everyone lately re-pay the visa fee at Banamex, after the waiver is approved and before they will give him/her the K-1 visa. So, don’t be shocked. If he/she’s approved, and they say, come back the next day to pick it up, either pay it before you go to pick it up, or run the risk of them telling you to go do it quick….but you may get lucky and not have to re-pay it. The sheet that said he was approved said nothing about a new DS-156 or paying again, that was a very stressful “surprise” for us.

    Visa pick up, and the above things need for it, may now be different with DHL involved.
    I-485 approved on April 28, 2009.

    Husband entered the U. S. on a K-1 visa on August 14, 2008.

    I-601 waiver Pilot Program approved in Juarez on August 8, 2008.

    Link to our full timeline:

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatita For This Useful Post:

    7cody (12-16-2009),Rafasgal (03-15-2009)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts