New Achievement!31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Hrs 38 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Mins 46 Secs

My hsl for review

Any input would be appreciated. Doing this on my own and I can barely see straight anymore. We do not have any major hardships so I'm trying to put together as many moderate ones as I can think of. Anyone have any creative ideas for hardships? Thank you, this site has been invaluable!

DATE

USCIS
    Attn: I-601A
    131 S. Dearborn, 3rd Floor
    Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Dear Sir or Madam,
    I, QUALIFYING RELATIVE, declare and under the penalty of perjury, under the law of the United States of America, that the following is true and correct:
    My name is QUALIFYING RELATIVE and I am a United States Citizen, born on XXXXXXXXXX in XXXXXXX, Indiana (See Ex. _____). I live at XXXXXXXXXX, Chicago, Illinois, 60613 with my husband and our 2 sons, D & E.
    I submit this affidavit in support of my husband, HUSBAND, and our request for you to approve his I-601a Waiver so he may return to the United States with proper documentation to be with me and our family as quickly as possible. My husband XXXXX, or HUSBAND as I know him, is my everything and I love him and our children more than anything in this entire world. I cannot live in the United States without him, nor can I uproot myself and my children and move to Mexico. I am writing this letter to explain the extreme and agonizing hardship that I will face if this waiver request is not approved.
    HUSBAND is selfless, intelligent, confident, ambitious, and has a kind of drive and work ethic I had only seen in my own father. He truly brings out the best in me, just by being himself. He supports me in all that I do, and all that I dream to do. He is the only person I have ever been able to truly be myself around. He is not only my husband, but my partner and best friend. He showed me what love really is; loving another person more than yourself. Our story starts out cliché enough. We met at orientation for a new restaurant in the west loop of Chicago; he a server, me, a hostess. We were both in other relationships at the time; we developed a deep friendship and respect for one another. I marveled at his extensive knowledge and love of foreign languages and fine wines, we spent many nights talking about our own flailing romantic relationships, and best of all …we danced. Oh we still love to dance. When the stars aligned and we finally started our own romantic relationship, words cannot describe. It was intense and meaningful, but deep down, I was scared. You see, he never kept anything from me, including his status in this country. My fear of an uncertain future took hold and we ended up tearfully parting ways. I thought at the time it was for the best, but almost 2 whole years later I was thinking of him daily. For almost 2 whole years I had sunk into a deep depression, relying on a prescription anti-depressant and tearful sessions with a psychologist to keep me going. Despite having wonderful friends and family, I couldn’t help but think I’d made the biggest mistake of my life in letting him go. When I saw a missed call from HUSBAND later on New Year’s Eve, my heart jumped from my chest. We agreed to meet up that evening, talk, and he felt the same. Within a short time after our reunion, I had never felt happier and healthier. I tapered off my medication, bid my psychologist farewell with her blessing, and the rest is history. I now have no regrets. I will never regret marrying and having children with someone I love, no matter his status or the obstacles ahead. As my courageous grandmother told just before she passed, in the end, we only regret the chances we didn’t take, relationships we were afraid to have, and the decisions we waited too long to make.
    In accordance with this waiver’s instructions, I will first describe the extreme hardships I would suffer if HUSBAND were unable to return to the United States as quickly as legally allowed and then counter with extreme hardships I would suffer if I were to relocate to Mexico in order to keep our family united, in that same section.
    FAMILY TIES AND IMPACT
    Family is, and will always be, most important to me. I grew up in a two-parent household, and my own mother made it her priority to always put me before herself. Devastatingly, she was diagnosed with breast cancer in _________ (See medical report, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ___). We were lucky in that up until recently, available treatment had given her relief and remission. In early 2017, our luck ran out. Her cancer has spread aggressively. (See medical report, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. _____). We vowed to do everything in our power to help her; my mother is the matriarch of our family. She is a fighter, and together we are not giving up. Currently, my mother is bedridden at her and my father’s home. This is extremely financially burdensome on my parents; my mother needs 24 hour care. My father relies on me to care for my mother as much as I possibly can so he may rest in order to properly care for her when I am not able to be there (See affidavit of FATHER, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ____). I travel to my parent’s home in Indiana up to 2 days a week in order to take over care for my mother; I bath her, clothe her, clean the home, cook and feed her, assist her to and from the bathroom, administer her medications, drive her to medical appointments, and lift her spirits as much as humanly possible (See affidavit of MOTHER, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ______). My wonderful sister lives not too far from my parents, however, she is a mother to my 6 month old nephew, XXX, and 2 older nephews, XXX aged 5, and XXX aged 7. Her partner travels for work leaving her as full time caregiver to her sons. In addition, she does not have the CNA and nursing education that I had acquired in my early twenties (See school transcripts, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. _____). She is not able to care for our mother in the capacity that she needs (See affidavit of SISTER, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. _____). If my husband HUSBAND was unable to return to the United States as quickly as possible, I would become full time caregiver to our 2 sons, preventing me from ever caring for my mother again. It is impossible for me to care for her while caring for my toddlers at the same time as they all need my undivided attention. My mother is immunosuppressed, and one sickness acquired from my children could literally mean death for her. In addition, my 2 sons are loud and rambunctious as most toddlers are; having them present in my parent’s house for long periods of time cause her undue stress. Having my partner and husband, HUSBAND, by my side has enabled me to have the privilege of assisting my ill mother as much as I can in this difficult time. It is my duty and pleasure as her daughter, and having HUSBAND here with me in the United States enables me to do so. In addition, if my husband, HUSBAND, is unable to return to the United States as quickly as possible, the difficulty and expense of myself and my children traveling to Mexico to see him would be immense. HUSBAND and my relationship will suffer greatly, and I fear not being able to see each other face to face will break us.
    If I were to relocate our family to Mexico, I will never see my mother again. My children will never see their grandmother again. Her health will decline faster without my care. My mother depends on me to be there for her when my father cannot. My father’s health will decline without relief from caring for my mother 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Living on one minimum wage income in Mexico City, we will not be able to afford to buy airplane tickets to visit my mother and family in the United States. My mother is unable to fly due to her health diagnosis so she would not be able to visit us in Mexico. Family unity is a very important theme in our lives. My sister, along with my nephews, visit us often. We attend family reunions every year in which we always look forward to. I fear the negative psychological impact on myself and my children if we are not able to see my mother, father, sister, nephews, and extended family in the United States again.
    ECONOMIC IMPACT
    As a part of a two parent household, HUSBAND and I both contribute to the financial stability of our family, and both tend to our children equally. If HUSBAND were not allowed to return to the United States as quickly as possible, I would become not only the primary caregiver to our children, but primary income earner. But this represents a conundrum and extreme hardship: As primary caregiver, my income would need to cover full time childcare for 2 children in Chicago. I have no family nearby, so child care would be my only option. In December of 2011 I earned my certification in paralegal studies from Loyola University Chicago with honors (See certification, here to attached and referred to as Ex. ____). As a full time paralegal earning an average of $48,438 a year (See average income data, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ____), $22,934 of that would be deducted to cover the average full time childcare costs for 2 children in Chicago (See average childcare costs in Chicago, hereto attached and referred to as Ex _____). This would leave us with $25,504, or $2,125 a month to cover household expenses. We live a very modest lifestyle. We value family and togetherness, not material things. The following is a conservative list of our monthly household expenses in Chicago: Rent: $1500, Gas: $50, Electric: $75, Phone for one: $75, Food for myself and my growing boys: $500 = $2200. This already puts us in the negative, and this does not include any potential for savings, unforeseen emergencies, clothes, and medical/dental/vision insurance. Our lifestyle will drastically change, causing more stress on myself, leading to a decline in my health and ability to care for my children. I will not be able to perform my job to the best of my abilities because I will constantly worry about the well being of my children who are being raised by strangers and how we are going to be able to afford to keep a roof over our heads. My children will go through separation anxiety because they’ve always been with myself or my husband. In addition, I will not be able to save money to buy airplane tickets, which will cost up to $1,000, for myself and my children, to visit my husband in Mexico City. This will cause our relationship to suffer greatly, and I fear we will be unable to maintain our tie to each other.
    If I were to relocate our family to Mexico City to keep us united, my husband, HUSBAND would be the only income earner for our family, as my education and work experience as a paralegal in US law would be worthless in Mexico, and I do not speak Spanish. I have no ties to Mexico, and my husband, HUSBAND, has no savings, property or income in Mexico. HUSBAND has no special work skillset, so he would obtain a minimum wage job. Minimum wage in Mexico is currently approximately $4.40 USD a day, when converted from the current exchange rate (See February 15, 2017 article from Ogletree Deakins, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ____). I will not be able to contribute to our family income, and we will have to survive as a family of 4 in Mexico City on one minimum wage income, a dire situation to put a family in. Our decline in our standard of living would be devastating to myself and my children.
    HEALTH
    The stress of suddenly becoming the primary income earner and primary caregiver to 2 toddlers will cause a decline in my physical and mental health. I am susceptible to depression, and experiencing this hardship could lead to ulcers, obesity and sedentary lifestyle health issues. I depend on my husband, HUSBAND, to provide me with emotional support, at which he excels. Having my husband here in the United States enables me to have a healthy work and life balance, giving me ample time with my children, and a little time for a run or kickboxing everyday to keep my body and mind healthy. Without HUSBAND present, my own health would take a back seat to financially support our children. Having my husband, HUSBAND, here with me to help raise our sons and attribute to family finances has afforded me a life with a few less cares, a life where I can devote myself to raising our 2 sons to be productive members of society, and where I can help not only myself, but my husband, children, friends and family lead healthy and responsible lifestyles. If HUSBAND is not able to return to the US as quickly as possible, I fear not only will I slide into depression, but I fear the effect of doing so on my children. As mentioned in my introduction, when HUSBAND and I parted ways I became ill with grief. I could not care for myself, and my health suffered. In 2008, having him back into my life enabled me to taper off my prescription medication and forego relying on a psychologist to keep me going (See pharmacy records, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ____). I worry and fear of how I would handle the stresses of essentially being a single parent caregiver to 2 young children; coupled with depression and the expectation of full time employment which would drastically reduce the time to actually raise my sons myself causing disconnect between us. Our children will develop behavioral issues, house work will become unattended, and I will not be able to give our children the care and attention that they need and the clean and kept environment that will help them thrive. I am terrified that such a shift in our current lifestyle will hinder my children’s psychological, cognitive and emotional development. According to the Single Parent Success Foundation, 63% of suicides nationwide are individuals from single-parent families; 75% of children in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families and more than half of all youths incarcerated in the US lived in one-parent families as a child (See My Safe Harbor, Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, hereto attached and referred to as Ex. ____). HUSBAND and I were raised in 2 parent households, and we both have fond memories of growing up with our parents’ guidance, love and knowledge. Our boys need the same.
    On the other hand, if I were to relocate our family to Mexico in order to keep us unified, I fear moving to a strange country with an unfamiliar language, customs and societal norms, will devastate my mental and physical health. I will become depressed, and be unable to care for my children. I will fear leaving whatever apartment we can afford with my children to run errands, buy groceries, etc. because we could get lost and be unable to ask for help, we could be kidnapped, we could experience a medical emergency and not know how to ask for help. My husband, HUSBAND, will need to work as much as possible in order to keep us afloat, leaving myself and the children alone for the majority of the time. This will have dire consequences on my health, being alone with 2 children, attempting to meet our basic needs throughout the day without being able to communicate with anyone. I fear this stress will cause mental anguish, and a disregard for my own physical health, being unable to seek medical help due to the language barrier. My children will witness my decline, and be effected psychologically. According to William Beardslee, MD, of the psychiatry department at Children's Hospital in Boston, ”when children are older, parents are vitally important in providing structure, order, encouragement, support, helping with school, helping with friendships, and those processes tend to be disrupted when a parent is depressed”. Study after study indicates that children growing up with a depressed parent increases a child's risk for mental health problems, cognitive difficulties and troubled social relationships.

VIOLENCE
    HUSBAND and I both work hard in order to be able to afford to live in a nice area of Chicago. Our street is filled with families. We live down the street from CHURCH parish which we attend, and it is our hope that our sons will eventually attend the attached school. If HUSBAND were unable to return to the US as quickly as possible and I become primary earner as well as caregiver, we will not be able to afford to live in our current area. I will be forced to move west or south, into lower income neighborhoods wrought with violence. I would fear for myself and my children’s safety everyday.
    If I were to move our family to Mexico, in particular Mexico City, I would also fear for our safety everyday. HUSBAND has a few family members in a small village just southeast of Mexico City where there are absolutely no economic opportunities. We will need to settle in Mexico City for any chance of my husband obtaining work. HUSBAND has no special skilled work experience, so he would obtain a minimum wage job. He would work as much as possible leaving us alone the majority of the time. According to the Mexico 2016 Crime and Safety Report: Mexico City (hereto attached and referred to as Ex ____), the general crime rate in Mexico City is above the U.S. national average. Also detailed in Ex. ____ is the alarming number of kidnappings reported throughout Mexico. As an obvious foreigner who speaks little Spanish and who will be traveling alone in an unfamiliar city with 2 young children, I will fear for our safety daily. Myself and my children’s obvious American physical characteristics and mannerisms make us attractive targets for crime.
    In conclusion, I sincerely thank you for granting my case careful consideration. I love my children, my husband, and my country, and I would like to respectfully ask you to please grant my husband’s waiver. My husband, HUSBAND, is sincerely sorry for how he came into this country. It is difficult for him to talk about, because he sees now how his decision has affected the people he loves, and it pains him greatly to know that he is the caused of it. He knows now that he was wrong to come to the United States without inspection and he wants nothing more than to make it right. I beg you to please waive his 10 year ban and allow him to re-enter the United States as quickly as possible. He so desperately does not want me and our children to have to suffer for his error. I desperately need my husband here, in the US, with me and my family. We want to do things right: pay taxes, contribute to society, and raise our sons to be loving, responsible United States citizens, together. Emotionally, I am certain I would completely fall apart without him. I would not be able to function. I cannot make the decision to leave either my family and only country I have ever known or my husband behind, as they are both impossible situations. I am dependent on them both, and they are dependent on me. Thank you for considering our case.
    Sincerely,

QUALIFYING RELATIVE
    Last edited by Clarebear101; 08-17-2017 at 03:55 PM.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience PointsVeteran5000 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 4 Days 20 Hrs 23 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 49 Secs
    My fear of an uncertain future took hold and we ended up tearfully parting ways. I thought at the time it was for the best, but almost 2 whole years later I was thinking of him daily. For almost 2 whole years I had sunk into a deep depression, relying on a prescription anti-depressant and tearful sessions with a psychologist to keep me going. Despite having wonderful friends and family, I couldn’t help but think I’d made the biggest mistake of my life in letting him go. When I saw a missed call from HUSBAND later on New Year’s Eve, my heart jumped from my chest. We agreed to meet up that evening, talk, and he felt the same. Within a short time after our reunion, I had never felt happier and healthier. I tapered off my medication, bid my psychologist farewell with her blessing, and the rest is history.
    This is an important hardship that you have already gone through. It does not matter that the hardship is no longer present. The fact that if you are separated again then relapse of depression is likely. I'd suggest to incorporate it when describing the hardships. A letter from the psychologist who treated you earlier would be quite useful.

When the stars aligned and we finally started our own romantic relationship, words cannot describe...
    It might read better if this starts from a new paragraph.

If my husband HUSBAND was unable to return to the United States as quickly as possible
    I'd remove "as quickly as possible" from all places. It does not help describing the hardships but distracts a little. I think it is generally understood that time is of essence in a waiver application.

...because I will constantly worry about the well being of my children who are being raised by strangers and how we are going to be able to afford to keep a roof over our heads...
    It is quite common for working parents to use a daycare facility. I think you have already proven the point by demonstrating the financial hardship of using a daycare facility, so I'd remove "raised by strangers" point.

If HUSBAND were not allowed to return to the United States as quickly as possible, I would become not only the primary caregiver to our children, but primary income earner.
    If your husband is here then consider describing how his income helps and how lack of his income will impact you. You may also tie it back to the point "you being the primary income earner" i.e., the financials of him working and you full-time at home.

Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 99.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Hrs 38 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Mins 46 Secs
    Thank you so much for all of the suggestions!

I included my depression history in the first paragraph of the HEALTH section...I am obtaining my precription records but my psychologist notes are no longer available (destroyed after 7 years). I am currently seeking a psychologist to do a letter detailing the impact either senerio will have on our family.

I am hesitant to include anything about my husband's financial contribution to our family because he does not have a work permit, and we were crucified by the immigration agent conducting our I-485 and I-130 interview because of it
    Last edited by Clarebear101; 08-18-2017 at 06:25 PM.

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 332
    Overall activity: 99.1%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience PointsVeteran5000 Experience PointsThree FriendsTagger Second Class

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 4 Days 20 Hrs 23 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 49 Secs
    I included my depression history in the first paragraph of the HEALTH section...I am obtaining my precription records but my psychologist notes are no longer available (destroyed after 7 years). I am currently seeking a psychologist to do a letter detailing the impact either senerio will have on our family.
    Keep in mind that a one-time psychologist assessment, unless being actively treated or treated in the past, has limited effect. That is why it is important to get a statement from the psychologist who treated you earlier. If the health records are not available then may be he can write something based on whatever he can recall?

I am hesitant to include anything about my husband's financial contribution to our family because he does not have a work permit, and we were crucified by the immigration agent conducting our I-485 and I-130 interview because of it
    If you made an a financial hardship argument without his presence then it may be necessary to describe why his presence alleviates the hardship. Remember, the hardships are about (1) why you can't leave with him and (2) why you can't be here without him. Therefore, if his presence does not alleviates financial hardship then the argument may sound weak.

Gloriosi
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Your first Group1000 Experience PointsOverdrive5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Mth 3 Days 18 Hrs 58 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    24 Mins 44 Secs
    My Mood
    Apprehensive
    O would say health impact should be the first argument & as Catcher says more than one doctor visit is important

Issues like if you do not speak fluent Spanish, or cant work
    Medical treatments in MX kids education etc

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Hrs 38 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Mins 46 Secs
    According to the USICS extreme hardships guideline, qualifying relative providing care for an elderly ill parent is a top extreme hardship so that's why Family Impact it first. I'll put the Health before Economic.

I've detailed the not speaking Spanish and how I can't work in Mexico City in Economic.

I'll include kids' lost education opportunities in Mexico City thanks!!

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Hrs 38 Mins 1 Sec
    Avg. Time Online
    2 Mins 46 Secs
    Also- the psychological impact letter is coming from a family friend psychiatrist who knows my history well, so I'm hoping that will help.

Thread Information