Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFE, please HELP!

관리자 / administrator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdminPosting AwardDiscussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,784 Times in 4,995 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 19 Hrs 24 Mins 59 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    42 Mins 44 Secs
    The letter you just posted, that was not used as the main brief, correct? That was just used as a piece of evidence?

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!OverdriveThree FriendsTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Days 20 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 26 Secs
    My Mood
    Approved
    Sorry, I guess I double posted!

Can any of you tell me how I can delete posts...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    The letter you just posted, that was not used as the main brief, correct? That was just used as a piece of evidence?
    That was MY statement. Wife statement to follow...
    Steven HELLER is my lawyer.
    Feb 19, 2011 Got removed when trying enter the US from Canada.
    May 23, 2011 I-130 receipt arrived.
    August 24, 2011 I-130 EXPEDITED and approved.
    September 21, 2011 file forwarded to NVC fees paid.
    Dec 21, 2011 Consular interview expedited, visa denied.
    Dec 21, 2011 Handed in 601 and 212 waiver packet and paid the fees at MTL Consulate.
    Jan 13, 2012 File forwarded from Montreal Consulate to VSC.
    Feb 21, 2012 Notice received from VSC.
    May 15, 2012 Online message saying that file had been transfered.
    May 22, 2012, Online message now says: "now being processed at a USCIS office."
    May 30, 2012, Receive letter from Nebraska Service Center.
    May 23, 2012, Case has been assigned to an officer.
    June 6, 2012, Online message says sending me a letter for RFE
    June 13, 2012, Lawyer in England receives the RFE letter, it was dated June 9th.
    August 31, Sent in documents for my RFE, additional supporting docs (4 lbs of them!) along with new HSL's for wife and myself.
    September 13, 2012, I called into USCIS, spoke with a Tier 2 Officer who informed me that my case had been approved on September 10, 2012!!!
    ????? Still waiting for letter...

관리자 / administrator
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    42 Mins 44 Secs
    Your statement is fine. Your letters may not be given the weight as your main arguments, though.

Achievements:
    New Achievement!OverdriveThree FriendsTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Days 20 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 26 Secs
    My Mood
    Approved
    STATEMENT from WIFE

Satement of WIFE in Support of I-601 Application For Waiver of Inadmissibility by HUSBAND. I make this statement under penalty of perjury.

1. My name is WIFE. I am married to HUSBAND. I understand that HUSBAND is inadmissible to the United States because of his past US immigration violations (overstaying his admission, misrepresenting himself to US immigration authorities, and being removed from the US earlier this year). We have discussed this and I fully support his application for a waiver to allow him to come home to be with me and our two young children who miss him dearly.

2. I believe I am a fifth generation US citizen.

3. I was born and raised in Greenwood, Indiana, one of 4 children of my parents, PARENTS. Our upbringing was extremely difficult due to financial hardship, something that I would not want to happen to my immediate family. Despite our difficult upbringing, our family remains close.

4. As previously stated, we were raised in poverty yet I was able to make it through life. When I met HUSBAND in 2001, I had an average job which enabled me to just make it by and pay my bills month to month.

5. HUSBAND and I met in Indianapolis in September 2001 when HUSBAND was visiting Indianapolis. During our short courtship, HUSBAND asked me to go back to Canada to live with him. I accepted and we got married in Whistler, Canada on January 14th 2002.

6. During 2006-2007, HUSBAND and I had some marital problems. During that time I had an encounter with another man and on November 24, 2007 I gave birth to a daughter, DAUGHTER on November 24th 2007. Although the circumstances relating to how DAUGHTER came to us could have strained our relationship, it only made our commitment to each other, and to DAUGHTER, even stronger. HUSBAND has been a wonderful father and a vital partner.

7. Immediately after our daughter’s birth, to try and start a new life away from any distractions to/from DAUGHTER’s biological father, (as he remains a married man with children of his own and a wife) we decided that perhaps moving to the US may be a good idea in order to get away from any potential animosity and to get closer to my family. (As neither HUSBAND nor I have family in Western Canada).

8. HUSBAND and I now understand that we should have organized the US immigration spouse visa in advance of moving to the US. We both regret that we failed to do this.

9. In January 2008, HUSBAND sold his travel business; we then put our home on the market and sold it quite quickly. Soon thereafter, we were looking for a good area to relocate and try it out for a period to see if my husband would adjust to the “US way of life”. We decided on Cottonwood as we had visited that area and really liked it due to it’s small town feel, nice kind people and great weather. We looked at homes and found one that suited our needs which would eventually lead to fulfilling one of our dreams which was to own and operate a B&B. We ended up moving in April of 2008.

10. After living there for a few short months, we decided that we really liked the area and wanted to settle there for the long term. I wish we had made it a top priority to get Sebastien’s status adjustment done, but every time we seemed to have a little money to hire a lawyer and do it, something would happen and our savings would get wiped. In June of 2008, I applied to obtain a B&B license at our local County. It was a long and hard process which nearly wiped us out financially. We were finally approved in May of 2009. Since then, we have been running our B&B and raising our children. (We had a second child who was born in Cottonwood on February 17th 2010. (SON)

11. Since moving to Cottonwood, we have made some great friends, it has also enabled my family to come and visit more often as well as enable us to go visit them more often due to lesser flight prices and shorter travel times.

FAMILY HOME

Our family home and business was purchased in April of 2008 for a price of $331 000. Due to our unemployment at the time of purchase, we had to put 35% down payment which ended up costing around $140 000 including closing costs at the time of purchase. This home, even though we have invested over $50 000 in improvements PLUS all the manual labor that Sebastien and I have put into it, the home in the present market which is in a huge decline, would only sell for $225 000 at best. This would mean that we would have a huge and extreme financial loss and hardship.

FINANCIAL B&B

The B&B is our heart and soul. We had to put a very huge down payment on it and have poured all our energies and efforts into marketing it and making it into the gem that it is in our area. As in any new business, the first few years have been a very huge financial struggle, a struggle that we project will pay dividends on the long run providing us with a good reliable source of income for many years to come, if not for the rest of our lives. Every year, we have spent at least $10 000 in capital improvements in the home and yard as well as at least $7000 in marketing the B&B on a national and international scale. We have over 50 000 Twitter followers and over 2100 Facebook Fans.

With these continued marketing efforts, our projected income keeps increasing with every year that we are in operation, culminating in gross revenue of $180 000 within the next 3 years. (This represents a 70% occupancy rate which is an attainable goal for us.)

Needless to say that it would cause extreme financial hardship if we were asked to sell our home and business, then uproot our family and move outside the USA.

LOSS OF EMPLOYMENT/BUSINESS/EMPLOYABILITY

I believe that the Bed and Breakfast offers stability and security as well as an increasing income. With only a GED and having been out of the job market for at least 10 years, it would be extremely difficult if not possible for me to obtain meaningful employment in Canada
    LOSS OF INCOME

I believe I would have no chance of surviving or providing the financial needs for my family without ANY form of employment in Canada. I would no longer be able to support and provide adequate care for my husband and 2 children in Canada because of low or virtually non-existent employment possibilities for people with only a GED.

Taking into effect on Loss of Business and Loss of Income factors, it would be unjustifiable and unusual extreme hardship for myself to leave such a high standard of living in United States would surely also cause a very unusual financial, further emotional and psychological hardship.

PSYCHOLOGICAL HARDSHIP USC

Since Sebastien’s absence, I have suffered tremendous psychological hardship. I have been diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder. I have had regular counseling and have been prescribed anti depressants. I often get panic attacks, I feel hopeless and helpless. HUSBAND’s absence has only exacerbated my condition. HUSBAND was involved in every aspect of my personal life as well as all aspects of running a business and raising two young children. I have been really struggling mentally since February 2011 and really hope he can get back here ASAP as I am mentally drained and I do not know how long I can still hang in there until I reach a point where I will have a total mental and physical breakdown.

PSYCHOLOGICAL HARDSHIP ON CHILDREN

HUSBAND was the primary caretaker of the children when he was in Cottonwood. He was and still remains an excellent involved father, a true role model to the children. Our daughter asks for HUSBAND on a daily basis, often crying asking “where is daddy”? The best answer that I can give her is that daddy is far away and that he will return as soon as possible. She also often says that “SON, ME, daddy and mommy go live on the moon together”. This brings a tear to my eye every time she says that.

SCHOOLING FOR CHILDREN

DAUGHTER at an early age had a very low speech level and was almost diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome. Luckily, Arizona has an early intervention program which is there to help young pre-school children progress in their development. We had a therapist work with DAUGHTER on a weekly basis between the age of 2 and 3. From the moment she turned three, she was admitted into a special needs education program at the local school in Cottonwood Arizona. Removing her from this program would have devastating and detrimental effects on DAUGHTER’s development. From what we know about the Canadian system, there are no such programs available for children with special needs. The special needs kids are put in huge classes of up to 25 students, an environment that would lead to tremendous regressing on DAUGHTER’s developmental progress that we have witnessed during the year that she has attending School in Cottonwood.

CITIZENSHIP

I am a very proud American who fully supports my country, the United States of America and very proud to be back living in the USA. I will continue to do so with all that I am and all that I will be and to imagine having to leave the USA would destroy the pride I have of being an American. Keeping that in mind, I would want my children to be raised in the USA as US Citizens. To even consider departing the USA would only increase tremendously the exponentiations of pain and suffering. Also the status of my children's citizenship being an American citizen would be greatly affected and have serious repercussions

PERSONAL CONSIDERATIONS

Due to our community involvement, both HUSBAND and I are now fully integrated into the community of Cottonwood, a community we now call home. We have made friends with other parents who have children of the same age as DAUGHTER and SON. Uprooting our family and trying to start again elsewhere would cause myself and the children a tremendous pain, suffering and tremendous hardship.

I hereby swear that all of the above is true and correct to the best of my knowledge and belief.

- - - Updated - - -

Your statement is fine. Your letters may not be given the weight as your main arguments, though.
    What exactly do you mean Cupcake?
    Dec 21, 2011 Handed in 601 and 212 waiver packet and paid the fees at MTL Consulate.
    June 13, 2012, Lawyer in England receives the RFE letter, it was dated June 9th.
    August 31, Sent in documents for my RFE, additional supporting docs (4 lbs of them!) along with new HSL's for wife and myself.
    September 13, 2012, I called into USCIS, spoke with a Tier 2 Officer who informed me that my case had been approved on September 10, 2012!!!

관리자 / administrator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    42 Mins 44 Secs
    Your letters were used as supporting evidence for emotional hardship, establishing a true relationship, etc. Your wife's may have been used for mental hardships. Typically, these types of letters are not very persuasive pieces of evidence. They are important, but do not have as much impact as something like a letter from a doctor detailing mental decline, medical records, etc.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Days 20 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 26 Secs
    My Mood
    Approved
    BRIEF

In the Matter of HUSBAND
    MTL2011762024
    Application for Waiver of Inadmissibility and Permission to Apply for Visa

HUSBAND now submits his application for a waiver of inadmissibility and request for permission to re-enter the US after removal.
    The documentation described below identifies the hardships WIFE has suffered and will continue to suffer if her husband is not granted a waiver and the numerous favorable discretionary factors that warrant consideration.

EXHIBIT DESCRIPTION
    1 Sworn Statement of HUSBAND
    2 Sworn Statement of WIFE
    3 Documents in Support of WIFE Statement
    I. Home valuation by Century 21
    II. Financial information regarding the B&B
    III. Letter from PSYCHIATRIST, D.O. (psychiatrist)
    IV. Letter from CATHOLIC CHARITIES DIRECTOR, MSW
    V. Letter fromXXXX, Principal, Daughetr school
    4Documents in Support of HUSBAND Statement
    I. Letter of support from XXXXXX, Mayor of Cottonwood, AZ
    II. Letter of support from XXXXXXX, Director of Membership of Sedona Chamber of Commerce
    III. Letter of support from XXXXX, financial advisor
    IV. Letter of support from XXXXXXX, close friend

The evidence included with this application documents the hardships suggested by Mr. and Mrs. XXXXX in their personal statements and directs your attention to the particular hardships WIFE will suffer on account of her US family ties, her lack of family ties outside the US, her health, and, most significantly, her financial concerns, which include career, housing, and security hardships. As discussed below, these factors all individually establish extreme hardship, but even more so when considered in totality.

Summary of the Facts
    Mr. and Mrs. XXXXX met in the autumn of 2001 and married in January 2002. They have been married for nearly 10 years. Together, they have two young children, DAUGHETR (4) and SON (1). Together, they have also established a successful Bed and Breakfast

XXXXXXX

Breakfast in Cottonwood, AZ and have been active members of the community there.

WIFE is a fifth generation American, born and raised in Indiana. One of four children, all of her immediate family is in the United States. With the exception of her brief residence in Canada with WIFE, she has lived her entire life in the USA.
    WIFE had an underprivileged upbringing, but maintained a close relationship with her family and she still does.
    Fundamentally, WIFE is concerned for her future and the future of her family. She is proud to be an American and wants to give her children the opportunity to grow up in the USA. With the Bed and Breakfast she and HUSBAND established, she has a business that can support her family in a community in which she and her family are a valued component. They have invested a great deal in the business, their home, and the community—both financially and emotionally. Additionally, their daughter has been identified as having special educational needs—a situation that is being addressed in their community. The prospect of losing everything in order to remain together with her husband in Canada, or of living separately causes her extreme psychological distress.

HUSBAND cares tremendously about his wife and children. He and WIFE have endured their share of relationship problems, but they have endured them and their relationship has been strengthened. HUSBAND fully accepted the birth of DAUGHTER as his own daughter, even knowing that she was conceived with another man during a low point in his relationship with WIFE. He embraced his role as house-husband while WIFE ran the Bed and Breakfast. He has been an active participant in the Cottonwood and surrounding community. He deeply regrets his US immigration violations and seeks to start anew.

Family and Community Ties in the United States

Family ties are among the enumerated, but non-exhaustive, hardship factors to be evaluated. See In re Cervantes-Gonzales, 22 I&N Dec. 560 (BIA 1999) (citing various predecessor cases dating back to Matter of Anderson, 16 I&N Dec. 596 (BIA 1978)). Indeed, in his concurrence to the BIA decision In re O-J-O-, Int. Dec. 3280 (BIA 1996), BIA Judge Holmes delivers an historical assessment of BIA precedent cases evaluating extreme hardship. Of the 10 cases he reviews in which relief was denied (including such seminal cases as Anderson and Chumpitazi), all had little or no US family ties (and the same is true of subsequent cases, such as Cervantes and Pilch); however, among the 11 cases in which extreme hardship was found, all had significant US family or community ties (as well as the applicant in O-J-O- himself). Additional guidance is provided in recent AAO decisions posted on AILA InfoNet which state: “For example, though family separation has been found to be a common result of inadmissibility or removal, separation from family living in the

United States can also be the most important single hardship factor in considering hardship in the aggregate.” (InfoNet Doc. No. 11100433, Santo Domingo, September 9, 2011, p. 4; InfoNet Doc. No. 11090132, Portland, Oregon, August 10, 2011, p. 4; InfoNet Doc. 11080963, Jacksonville, Florida, April 7, 2010, p.3-4)(citing Salcido-Salcido v. INS, 138 F.3d 1292, 1293 (9th Cir. 1998)).

In short, US family and community ties warrant significant consideration and, in this case, Mrs. CLIENT has them.
    As described in her statement, Mrs.WIFE family all reside in the US. She has no family connections to Canada, or any other country outside of the United States, except for the family of her husband. Her personal ties to the US are focused on her family, her business, and her community affiliations. The above considered, Mrs. WIFE family and community ties to the United States are fundamental to her identity and the disruption of those ties would cause extreme hardship.

Financial Considerations

“Economic factors must be considered,” noted the Board in O-J-O-. Int. Dec. 3280 at 385. In O-J-O-, the Board found extreme hardship in a suspension case where the applicant would sacrifice his local US trucking business if forced to depart the US. Similarly, the Board noted the financial hardship to the applicant’s family in In re Mendez, Int. Dec. 3272 (BIA 1996), in finding extreme hardship to the US spouse and child (the case was denied on discretionary grounds, note discussion below). Likewise, although not precedent, the AAO’s decision of May 1, 2009 (re: Athens, Greece) found that the US citizen wife’s financial distress contributed to a finding of extreme hardship. AILA Infonet Doc. No. 09051171. Conversely, where there have been no financial ties to the US, the Board has noted its absence as further evidence against finding extreme hardship. See Cervantes, supra.

Here, WIFE is faced with various manifestations of financial hardship. If her husband’s waiver is not approved, WIFE would not be able to afford maintaining two separate homes, one for herself and the children and one for HUSBAND. She would be compelled to relocate to ensure family unity. Relocating would cause financial ruin—their home is part of their business and moving to Canada would mean losing both. They have invested over half a million dollars into the building and the grounds, including the purchase itself, substantial improvements, and ongoing mortgage payments. Nevertheless, in today’s depressed housing market, the premises are valued at only $166,000. The financial hardships WIFE would face if forced to relocate would be extreme.

WIFE Health

WIFE suffers from anxiety disorder and depression, a condition exacerbated by stress—and there is no doubt that the situation regarding HUSBAND has caused significant stress and, if the waiver is not approved, still greater stress. Significant conditions of health are one of the non-exhaustive factors considered in evaluating extreme hardship. See In re Cervantes-Gonzales, 22 I&N Dec. 560, 565-566 (BIA 1999) (citing various predecessor cases dating back to Matter of Anderson, 16 I&N Dec. 596 (BIA 1978)).

Although such health conditions may be particularly significant when it is established that there is an unavailability of suitable medical care in the country to which the qualifying relative would relocate, the case law does not exclude consideration of such health conditions, even if the country has suitable medical care. See id.

In WIFE’s case, her condition suggests a potentially significant condition of health that rises to a level of extreme hardship because of the precarious threat to her personally, in light of the genetic proclivity toward depression in her family and the serious repercussions of this condition.

Totality of the Circumstances

In In re O-J-O-, the Board states that “all factors must be taken into consideration,” (Int. Dec. 3280 at 382) and, “Relevant factors, though not extreme in themselves, must be considered in the aggregate in determining whether extreme hardship exists.” Int. Dec. 3280 at 383, citing Ige. The Board found extreme hardship in O-J-O- based on the totality of the circumstances, which included US ties and economic factors

Here, as in O-J-O-, WIFE has established a variety of hardships she will suffer as a result of the denial of the visa to her husband. As described above, each of the hardships in themselves could rise to a level of extreme hardship. Considered in the aggregate, they most certainly do.

Discretionary Factors

In Matter of Mendez, Int. Dec. 3272 (BIA 1996), the Board noted that the exercise of discretion in adjudicating a hardship petition requires a balancing of favorable and negative factors. Favorable factors typically include the hardship determination itself, non-qualifying family members in the US, and other evidence of good character. Negative factors include the nature and circumstance of the ground to be waived and other evidence of bad character. It bears noting that, in Mendez, the Board found extreme hardship, but denied relief in the exercise of discretion because the crime for which the applicant was deportable was particularly serious (sexual assault of a minor).
    The additional evidence submitted with this application for review highlights the mitigating circumstances relating to the violation—HUSBAND is highly regarded by the community in Cottonwood, AZ, as evidenced by the letters of support from members of the community, including the Mayor and the Director of Membership of the Sedona Chamber of Commerce.

As HUSBAND notes, his overstay, misrepsentation, and expedited removal and were regrettable actions, but they were nowhere near as serious as the violation noted in Mendez. The general context of the totality of the circumstances relating to his inadmissibility suggests a large degree of neglect by HUSBAND toward his US immigration status, as opposed to affirmative efforts to deceive. Ultimately, USBAND recognizes and accepts responsibility for his actions and inaction. He apologizes and seeks forgiveness for his mistakes.

Additional favorable discretionary factors include the presence of non-qualifying relatives in the United States. In this instance, the presence of two young US children is a most significant discretionary factor.

Respectfully submitted,
    Steven D. Heller
    LAWYER

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Days 20 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 26 Secs
    My Mood
    Approved
    Letter from psychiatrist is in photo PDF format and I cannot transfer it into word form. I will have to print, black out names and post after I scan it.

관리자 / administrator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    42 Mins 44 Secs
    Please do not post your attorney's brief unless you have permission from the attorney to do that.

Same with the psychiatrist's letter.

Achievements:

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Days 20 Hrs 41 Mins
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 26 Secs
    My Mood
    Approved
    Please do not post your attorney's brief unless you have permission from the attorney to do that.

Same with the psychiatrist's letter.
    Did you delete that post?

I will check with them and see what they say. I may repost after I get approval, is that OK?

Do you have any wise advice as to what I should do from here?

- - - Updated - - -

The arguments will have to prove that her condition has become more serious since you left or are so debilitating, that she needs you in the US because she cannot function without you, etc. .
    When I was lucky enough to speak with the head of the Consular Section at the Montreal Consulate, he said not to do this as local officials may use it against us and they may send child protection to pick up the children. He advised to be very cautious with this...

What do you think?

Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 141
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    13 Hrs 5 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Secs
    WhistlerSki71