Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Hr 31 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Secs

Cell phones in Mexico

I want to buy my mother-in-law a cell phone that she can use in Mexico and also call us in the USA with. She lives in southern Mexico (Tabasco). I'm wondering if a phone purchased in the States will operate in Mexico without having a contract? Do pay as you go phones work in Mexico? Is it a better plan to simply wire her money to buy a phone from a local Mexican outfit?
    Any thoughts?

Alumni Member
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 16 Hrs 39 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Min 43 Secs
    hmm i know with movistar you can use a phone from the US as long as it has a chip on it, they remove the one it comes with and put one in from that service provider. its not costy either, i think its about 100 pesos or so for the chip (its more like a mini sd card).
    this is a prepaid so she will put money and she can call the US. for every 15 min its about 10 pesos or so, not too sure but its not bad at all. then ofcourse the rates for national calls. no money used if she gets incoming called either.
    Jan 31 2006 1st visa interview (2 yr ban)
    may 13 2008 2nd visa interview
    june 9 2008 Waiver (backlogged)
    July 1, 2008 Sent add evidence
    Aug 1, 2009 Sent add evidence (received as expidite, denied)
    Oct 15 2009 Sent add evidence
    Nov 4 2009 Denied. from CDJ by Warren
    Currently still waiting for second chance visa appointment
    Visa interview June 4, 2010
    2nd Waiver Appointment August 23, 2010
    2-3 weeks for DHL
    Picked up DHL Sept 8-- Approved sept 1

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aldo219 For This Useful Post:

wisebeard1 (08-24-2010)

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Recommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,651 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 2 Hrs 14 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 14 Mins 11 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Phones are definitely better-priced in the US (get one from a Power Seller on Ebay!). But they have to be unlocked. Phones straight from a wireless service retail outlet in the US will only work with that service provider's service. In Mexico, most people use the prepaid. I took an unlocked Tmobile phone from the US and used that in Mexico with a Telcel SIM card. My husband uses an unlocked phone there as well. It's really the best way to go in my opinion!
    Please post your immigration questions on the forum, not in a private message. Always consult an experienced lawyer before filing.
    *If you believe you or someone on your behalf checked the "US Citizen" box on an employment document, please do not send a private message. Talk to a trusted lawyer about what could happen. *
    Getting StartedGetting Legal Status for Your Loved OneWaiver Eligibility
    Recommended Lawyers Visa BulletinHelp from Elected OfficialsTranslations

Consular ProcessKnow before filingSpouse/Fiance Petition Petition Processing TimesNVC Stage Medical/InterviewI-601 WaiverAfter Approval
    Other Routes Adjustment of Status in the US Direct Consular Filing

Living Outside the USLife in MexicoMoving to Canada Moving to Other Countries

Officially banned for life w/no waiver (6cii)- but we don't give up! Read our story
    Lawyers I've worked with and highly recommend: Laurel Scott Laura Fernandez Lizz Cannon

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Los G For This Useful Post:

carlosalica (08-24-2010),wisebeard1 (08-24-2010)

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 241
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Hr 31 Mins 7 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Secs
    So we need to use a phone with a removable sim card? OK, I know I have a couple of T-mobile phones from a couple of years ago I can use or I can simply go to a retail store and buy another T-mobile phone that uses a sim card and send that to my mother-in-law. My only concern is the trustworthiness of the Mexican postal system. I hear packages sometimes never get to their destination.

Cum Laude
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 11 Hrs 21 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    12 Mins 39 Secs
    My Mood
    Stressed
    Quote Originally Posted by wisebeard1 View Post
    So we need to use a phone with a removable sim card? OK, I know I have a couple of T-mobile phones from a couple of years ago I can use or I can simply go to a retail store and buy another T-mobile phone that uses a sim card and send that to my mother-in-law. My only concern is the trustworthiness of the Mexican postal system. I hear packages sometimes never get to their destination.
    You have to make sure they are unlocked though. You can usually buy unlocked phones through ebay, craigslist, or if you have a couple from t-mobile you can call t-mobile and see if they will give you the unlock codes.
    Our Timeline
    Jan. 12 2007 Submitted Waiver (We Were Pre-Pilot-Program)
    August 18 2007 WAIVER APPROVED
    I lived in Mexico for nine months while we waited for our approval.. if anyone has any questions please ask me! I also had a baby there, you can read:
    My guide to registering baby's birth abroad
    May 3 2011 - Submitted N400
    August 31 2011 - Naturalization Interview, APPROVED!! Same day oath Ceremony!!

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 108
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    3 Days 10 Hrs 16 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 28 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by wisebeard1 View Post
    I have sent many packages over the years from the US to Mexico, including cell phones and they have always made it. Not sure if it's luck or not, but I have had good experiences sending packages through the regular USPS mail to Mexico.
    April 2000 - Husband EWI ~*~ September 2000 - We Met ~*~ November 2007 - Had Daughter ~*~ April 2008 - Got Married ~*~ June 2008 - Began Process ~*~ March 5th, 2009 - First Interview in CDJ ~*~ June 29th, 2009 - Waiver Appt ~*~ June 30th, 2009 - Backlogged (HSL) ~*~ July 16th, 2009 - Sent Additional Info ~*~ Sept 27th, 2010 - Received Approval dated Sept 21st, 2010 ~*~ November 5th, 2010 - Open Appointment ~*~ November 8th, 2010 - Packet Ready/Crossed Legally ~*~ November 19th, 2010 - Received SS Card ~*~ December 10th, 2010 - Received PR Card

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oynnej84 For This Useful Post:

wisebeard1 (08-24-2010)

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 660
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Recommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,651 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 2 Hrs 14 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 14 Mins 11 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Like Carlosalica said, a regular Tmobile phone won't work in MX until it's unlocked. If you already have a phone you're sending, it's possible your inlaws can get it unlocked there in Mexico. My husband unlocked his AT&T phone there when he first arrived in Mexico. But to play it safe and avoid hassle, it's probably easier if you do it. Sometimes those places that sell multiple providers' cell service (like Verizon, Tmobile, AT&T etc) will do it.
    Please post your immigration questions on the forum, not in a private message. Always consult an experienced lawyer before filing.
    *If you believe you or someone on your behalf checked the "US Citizen" box on an employment document, please do not send a private message. Talk to a trusted lawyer about what could happen. *
    Getting StartedGetting Legal Status for Your Loved OneWaiver Eligibility
    Recommended Lawyers Visa BulletinHelp from Elected OfficialsTranslations

Consular ProcessKnow before filingSpouse/Fiance Petition Petition Processing TimesNVC Stage Medical/InterviewI-601 WaiverAfter Approval
    Other Routes Adjustment of Status in the US Direct Consular Filing

Living Outside the USLife in MexicoMoving to Canada Moving to Other Countries

Officially banned for life w/no waiver (6cii)- but we don't give up! Read our story
    Lawyers I've worked with and highly recommend: Laurel Scott Laura Fernandez Lizz Cannon

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Los G For This Useful Post:

wisebeard1 (08-24-2010)

Cum Laude
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 166
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 798 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 18 Hrs 29 Mins 20 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    12 Mins 57 Secs
    We just use a Telcel amigo kit phone that has a plan for calling the states. I think the phone it came with was free. It costs 6 pesos for 15 minutes to the states, and you just keep recharging the balance (tiempo aire). I hear that Movistar has a plan for 30 minutes for 6-10 pesos. That's where I am going next I would say have your MIL go to a Telcel or Movistar office (Centro de Atencion) and ask what the options are- I think it would be much cheaper than sending, etc.
    Valentines Day, 2005 Met Hector
    July 23, 2006, Cruzito born
    September 26, 2008, 1st Interview
    October 9th, 2008 Waiver Appointment
    July 29, 2009 After 9 months of administrative processing, my husband was declared permanently inadmissible for having a 13-year old covered gang tattoo.
    April 18th, 2011, Sabina born
    2013 New immigration hope looms in the future.....life in Guadalajara continues.

Thread Information