Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Living in Tijuana

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!1000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    10 Hrs 21 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    23 Secs

Unhappy Living in Tijuana

Okay, so we are currently appealing our case with immigration to the 9th district court. If it doesn't go through my husband will be deported and we will be moving to Mexico. Our plan is to live in Tijuana so that I can cross into San Diego to work. I have so many questions so I hope someone can help. Are there certain areas in Tijuana that are better than others, but still not super expensive to rent? Are there any English speaking schools in Tijuana? My husband has lived here since he was 15 and has always worked in the orchards. I know there are no jobs like that there, but are there places that he might be able to find some kind of work? I've heard its really a big deal trying to bring any household goods across the border. So should I plan on selling everything and buying new down there? Are there any other crossings that go into San Diego besides the San Ysidro one? Sorry for so many questions but I need help!

Magnifici
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,150 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Wks 21 Hrs 57 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    13 Mins 5 Secs
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    Well I have met a few members here that live in Otay and they seem to be ok with it and no real issues, you may want to look there, my Hubby lived out his backlog in Tecate which is a super easy border crosiing 2 lanes in and 2 lanes out, and very lenient in bringing stuff in and out, easiest border crossing ive seen so far, he also recently lived in Ensenada, I know its quite a distance from the border but it is so worth living there, so much difference from Tj, I mean big difference so for us it was worth the extra drive for his safety and my sanity!! lol!! You may also want to look into playas de Tijuana but that could be a bit more costlier but it is nice there too! We looked around in rosarito but it was just run down everywhere we looked. Good luck.
    May 13, 2005 - Visa Interview, 3 Year Ban
    June 06, 2008 - Eligible to file Waiver
    August 25, 2008 - Waiver Interview - Backlogged
    Sept 2009 Hired Atty February 2009, July 2009, December 2009 - Sent addtl Evidence
    March 22, 2010 Hubby's prints were forwarded and that we should have our response no later than April 29th.
    APPROVED !!! April 22, 2010 CDJ By Warren Janssen Thank You Law Office of Janis Peterson-Lord www.janispetersonlord.com

May 3rd, My Birthday and Guess what I received today ....... the Approval Letter!!

Today June 2nd I called 202# and we have our Open Appt for Visa pick up on July 6th! !!!!!

HOME!!!!!! 7/7/2010

3. The Following User Says Thank You to aliciajei For This Useful Post:

tiece20 (06-23-2010)

administradora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,702 Times in 4,974 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 12 Hrs 6 Mins 24 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 11 Mins 34 Secs
    Here are a couple of old threads. They don't collectively contain the information you are looking for, but there is some information in each that you may find helpful. You can also use the 'search' function on the main pages to reference more Tijuana threads.

border crossing/SENTRI pass: http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showth...living+tijuana

information about life in Tijuana: http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showth...living+tijuana

moving to Tijuana: http://immigrate2us.net/forum/showth...living+tijuana

Two members I can think of right away that have a lot of experience with Tijuana are Escada Franco and IMinCA. There are probably others as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cupcake For This Useful Post:

tiece20 (06-23-2010)

Valedictorian
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 22 Hrs 41 Mins 50 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    11 Mins 22 Secs
    My Mood
    Cool
    Look into Mexicaly, thats where I am from. My parents live in the Imperial Valley its a cluster of towns. My parents live in the town of Imperial which is about 15 minutes away from the border. Imperial is a small town and it is cheap to live in. Lots of people live in Mexicaly and come across the border to work in Imperial Valley. The schools are very good in Imperial also.

Look into it and good luck. Let me know if you have any questions...
    11/03 tried EWI got caught thrown back
    11/03 EWI
    03/06 Met
    05/06 Married Husband
    01/07 Approved I-130
    01/09 Baby girl born
    9/20/10 Sent NVC paperwork & Hired Anna M. Schwartz for waiver packet!
    11/01/10 NVC received "missing" document
    11/08/10 NVC operator said my case was complete and closed
    01/07/11 Visa appt at 0815am!!!
    03/10/11 Waiver Appt at 0700am!!!
    03/16/11 202# Operator said APPROVED
    3/21/11 Crossed to the USA

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!1000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    10 Hrs 21 Mins 54 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    23 Secs
    thank you all. Its so hard thinking about moving somewhere where we've never even been, and don't really know too much about. Its really scary. Its nice to find people who know what I'm going through.

Clarissimi
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 500
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 23 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    36 Mins 38 Secs
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Hi Tiece...Welcome to the forum. I think we're all felt the same way about moving to TJ especially with all the stories you read in newspaper. I think it's not as scary as the media make it out to be, as long as you don't attrack attention to yourself.

To answer your questions:
    Are there certain areas in Tijuana that are better than others, but still not super expensive to rent? There are several members on this forum that lives in Otay, this is the other POE besides the San Ysidro. The line is a lot shorter, but there is also less POE stations in Otay. San Ysidro 20 vs Otay 10 or so.

Are there any English speaking schools in Tijuana? There are some, but most of them are private and more expensive. You have to look through the locals newspaper, I don't know how old your kids are but I've seen some preschools?

Are there places that he might be able to find some kind of work? There is work around, it's a matter of what he's willing to do and what's his flexibility is. There are restaurant jobs that requires to work nights, and I believe most MX jobs (Food industry that is, will have you work at night)

I've heard its really a big deal trying to bring any household goods across the border. So should I plan on selling everything and buying new down there? We didn't have any problems bringing stuff down there(mattress,couch, TV, microwave, tables). I think I brought a lot of household items except a fridge and I was okay. But I didn't bring it all at once. They don't check us actually so it worked out well. I guess it depends on how much stuff you are bringing.

Are there any other crossings that go into San Diego besides the San Ysidro one? Yes, there is the Otay Mesa POE. Their main office is 9777 Via De La Amistad San Diego, CA 92154. It's about 10 minutes East of the San Ysidro entry. I cross into and out of MX through that POE everytime. It's less crowded.

Regarding home rentals, you can check out TJ Craigslist http://tijuana.es.craigslist.com.mx/ to get an idea of apartment prices and job openings, but most places are cheaper than craigslist. The only location that I constantly hear that it's not safe is Blvd 2000. I've never been there but seems like that's not a place you want to live at.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    He will prepare the way before me - Mal 3:1
    I have everything because I stand complete in Christ

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IMinCA For This Useful Post:

Melmcd76 (07-01-2010)

Valedictorian
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    SD, then TJ 2009-10, now San Diego again :)
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 1 Hr 10 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    55 Secs
    My Mood
    Tolerant
    Welcome & I hope everything goes well with your case! I am originally from WA and go every year.

I moved to San Diego as a kid in the 80's. I met my hubby in San Diego and we were there up until he went to Mexico in 10/2007. We've endured a backlog (15+ months), denial, pig flu chaos, 2nd visa interview, & are currently in the midst of a 2nd backlog,...let's just say I've been through it all.

My hubby settled in TJ in June 2008 and me & the kids would come visit him on the weekends until I lost my home to foreclosure (sad story but I'll get over it if my family can eventually live in the US again).

I rarely post anymore but here is the deal. I moved all of our possessions to Tijuana in August 2009. I had to bring everything in carloads. The Mexican Aduana will give you the red light a lot and you'll have to stop. You are only allowed to bring one car load of personal possessions per day. I would often bring several but that was before they got stricter. I ended up hiring a TJ/SD company that specializes in crossing the border with misc. items. I paid $120 plus about $100 for 2 guys that loaded up my big furniture...no appliances except W/D. I ended up paying about $160 in fees for those large items. They also charged about $25 for my TV on a separate occasion. There are tons of free/cheap things on Craigslist San Diego so you can replace all the stuff you have to leave behind.

We live about 5-6 miles from the Otay border crossing. I pay $650 for a 4 bed/3 1/2 bath house. We have a yard in the front/back and enough space for 4 cars to park. We actually have more space here than we did in our home in San Diego!!

I now cross everyday to take our 2 kids to school and go to work/gym/shop/see family in the US. It takes on average 1 hour and 15 minutes even if I get in line at 5 AM. Sometimes it is only 30minutes but you never know. None of us doing this are allowed to get Sentri passes because they think we'll bring our hubby's in the trunk so don't waste your money on even applying. I realize that all of the offices handle the Sentri differently but this has been the case in Otay/San Ysidro.

I am happy here because our family is together and that was the best decision for our family. There is a lot of work in San Diego but remember that the line will reflect that. Good economy...long line...bad economy in the US...shorter line to cross.

By the way, I prefer the US schools since my kids do not speak Spanish. The only difficulty is that you'll need to verify your address less than 2 times per year for the schools that are near the border. Schools located further north do not require as much verification. Make a lot of friends with the stay-at-home moms so you build a network.

We PERSONALLY have witnessed plenty to supplement our backlogged case...I sent a package to Laurel Scott with at least 6 different instances of violence that we have seen. One of the scariest actually occurred on our way to school while at the booth. The DHS officers pulled guns on the car next to us and me and my young children (ages 9 & 5) had to duck down to the area of the car where their feet normally go. I personally witnessed 3 officers with guns drawn...and that is not the first time it happened.

There have been murders on our street in broad daylight while we've been only yards away and swat operations that brought dozens of trucks and AK47 carrying soldiers with their faces covered to our street. I have been through more check points than I can count. My kids do in fact know what gun shots sound like.

I hate to paint unfavorable picture of TJ. I am happy here but only for the fact that my family is together. I stand out. People stare at me. They stare at me while in line. I text my husband as soon as I cross so he can be looking for me and open our gate. I never go anywhere by myself except to the line.

But we are surviving! Our marriage survived! My children are doing fantastic in school and have the benefit of both parents loving and supporting them. Those things outweigh a lot of the other things I've given up. I know several other people that live in TJ (going through immigration), and they've never experienced any of these things but I must have the best luck or something because I've seen plenty and had the worst luck with immigration too!

I want you to PM me if you need anything else. I am still in TJ until 2017 or until our 2nd waiver gets approved.
    Last edited by Melmcd76; 07-01-2010 at 06:43 AM.
    5/96 - Hubby EWI
    1/02 - Married
    6/02 - Approved I 130
    6/05 - Start process again
    10/9/07 - Husband left for CDJ
    11/8/07 - First Visa appt.
    11/9/07 - First Backlogged Waiver
    11/23/07 - Waiver sent to DHS
    12/8/07 - Submitted 2nd HSL
    1/27/09 - Submitted 3rd HSL
    2/20/09 - DENIED FROM MEXICO CITY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    5/14/09 - 2nd Visa appt. Nevermind Piggy Flu Hit
    6/15/09 - Rescheduled 2nd Visa appt.
    7/29/09 - I move to Tijuana, Mexico to keep our family together
    8/11/09 - 2nd Waiver appt.
    8/14/09 - BACKLOGGED A SECOND TIME
    6/11/10 - Approved from CDJ - (found out 7/9/10 exactly 2 yrs 9 mo to the day hubby went to Mex.)
    8/17/10 - Open appointment
    8/19/10 - Flew home from El Paso

My Husband was gone for nearly 3 years! It is the hardest thing we've ever done and it takes time to rebuild - have strength & faith

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Melmcd76 For This Useful Post:

flilly13 (08-03-2010),IMinCA (07-01-2010),sandra191406 (07-01-2010),Wendy300 (07-01-2010)

Valedictorian
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    SD, then TJ 2009-10, now San Diego again :)
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 1 Hr 10 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    55 Secs
    My Mood
    Tolerant
    By the way, we all love magicjack down here. You can get it walmart and you can have a landline through your computer with the zip code as your family/friends in the US. It costs about $40 to buy but then it is free. It makes me feel so much better to know people can reach me. You just have to keep your computer on in order for it to work
    5/96 - Hubby EWI
    1/02 - Married
    6/02 - Approved I 130
    6/05 - Start process again
    10/9/07 - Husband left for CDJ
    11/8/07 - First Visa appt.
    11/9/07 - First Backlogged Waiver
    11/23/07 - Waiver sent to DHS
    12/8/07 - Submitted 2nd HSL
    1/27/09 - Submitted 3rd HSL
    2/20/09 - DENIED FROM MEXICO CITY
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    5/14/09 - 2nd Visa appt. Nevermind Piggy Flu Hit
    6/15/09 - Rescheduled 2nd Visa appt.
    7/29/09 - I move to Tijuana, Mexico to keep our family together
    8/11/09 - 2nd Waiver appt.
    8/14/09 - BACKLOGGED A SECOND TIME
    6/11/10 - Approved from CDJ - (found out 7/9/10 exactly 2 yrs 9 mo to the day hubby went to Mex.)
    8/17/10 - Open appointment
    8/19/10 - Flew home from El Paso

My Husband was gone for nearly 3 years! It is the hardest thing we've ever done and it takes time to rebuild - have strength & faith

Magnifici
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 321
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsCreated Blog entryNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Poux Champion Yetisports - Orca Slap Champion Ice Age Part 1 - Scrat Jump Champion Tom and Jerry Bowling Champion Yeti Pengu Throw Champion
    Cubitsu Champion The Weakest Link Champion Hexxagon Champion
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    3 Wks 3 Hrs 57 Mins 28 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    18 Mins 35 Secs
    My Mood
    Cold
    TIECE, Welcome to the forum! What many of the posters have said is very accurate. I lived in TJ from January 2009 until August 2009. My husband is still there. We lived about 20 minutes south of the border in a residential area called "Residencial Santa Fe" The area itself was about middle class and had reasonable prices for homes for rent. The violence at the border and on the way to the border can be exhauting and worrisome. I traveled to SD everyday to work as well. At San Ysidro, it can take anywhere from an hour and a half to thee and a half hours to get through in the morning depending on what time you hit the border. Otay Mesa is usually faster to get through, but depending on where you are in TJ, it could take about 25 minutes to get the Otay. As far as jobs go, it took my husband a month to get a job after we moved there. Jobs are lucrative and the do not pay well. There are schools that teach english, but as Iminca said, they are usually private and very expensive. It might be easier to take your kids with you into SD and have them go to school there.

I am sorry for your situation. Trust me, we are all in the same boat trying to keep our marriages together when our country wants them to fall apart. Just keep praying. We are all here for you.
    No one can make you feel inferior without your consent

Gloriosi
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    12 Hrs 27 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    27 Secs
    Hello Hello! Wow everyone has chimed in with some good advice. For phone service I use Skype and add credit when we call Mexico cell phones. Wireless internet and cable cost us about 38 dollars a month (Cablemas). I live in Playas de Tijuana... think of it as a suburb to TJ about 10 miles from the border. Very nice area with decent rent. When I cross in the morning I go through San Ysidro. The longest I've had to wait was 2 hours but nearly 93% of the time it's 1 hour in car and I've gone at various different hours. I walk across M-F with my son for school... there are times we cross the border in less then 10 minutes and other times an hour. (I recommend good walking shoes!).

Feel free to ask me any questions about Playas ... I feel like a pro! Best decision we've made as a family... to be together!
    Bridget, Wife to Walo, Mommy to Chiquito Baby, Baby Angel (12/27/07), Baby Surprise (Due: 2/14/12)

View Our Timeline Here

Hubby was found ineligible for the I601 Wavier based on Section 212(a)(3)(A)(ii). They cannot issue a visa who is entering the US for the purpose of committing a crime in the future.

Next Steps: Currently living in Playas de Tijuana, BC. Meanwhile our attorney Laurel Scott has filed an AO last November on our behalf. We will continue to demand that the consulate allow us to file an I601 wavier....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information