Page 1 of 43 1236 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moving to Canada Thread

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 713
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Recommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,702 Times in 3,207 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Mths 1 Wk 6 Days 21 Hrs 48 Mins 47 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 8 Mins 23 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow

The Moving to Canada Thread

There are threads spread all around the forum where this has been discussed. I'm hoping to make one central place where we can eventually consolidate all the information that we've learned on this subject, since there are a lot of us interested in re-uniting our families in Canada.

As we all know, the best place to start is
    Canada's Immigration Website

Another great overview resource is this one:
    Attorney Henry Chang's Canadian Immigration Handbook

Canada Federal Skilled Worker Basics

Canada offers far more accessible paths to immigrate than the US does, and for many of us with dead-end US immigration cases, Canada offers a lot of promise. However, this doesn't mean everyone automatically qualifies to apply.

The most common way is through the Federal Skilled Worker program. To qualify for this path, the primary applicant (usually the US citizen but not in all cases), must:

• Have enough "Points" to reach the benchmark, currently 67 points. Points are granted for things like education, fluency in English/French, prior experience in Canada, and career experience. (See the links further down for more information on everything mentioned here)
    • Have qualifications and experience in a field considered "highly skilled" by Canada. The National Occupations Matrix lines up how each job is judged by Canada.
    • Have one of he following:
      • A standing job offer from a Canadian company in a skilled field which the Canadian government has deemed difficult to fill with a Canadian employee. They specify this by issuing a favorable Labour Market Opinion.
      • Qualification and experience in one of the fields considered "high-need" by Canada. The specifics of which fields qualify change often, so you must check on the Canadian Immigration website. If you are in this category, you must also prove a certain amount of financial resources that are your own (not loaned). The exact amount needed fluctuates, but is roughly $5,000 per family member immigrating, and the specific number can be found on the Canada immigration website.
      • Qualification and experience in a job designated as a NAFTA job that makes North Americans eligible to work across borders.

Federal Skilled Worker Resources:
    The Points System Test for Federal Skilled Worker applicants
    Processing Times (applying outside of Canada)
    Processing Times (applying inside Canada)
    Visa Application Offices
    Proof of Funds needed for Federal Skilled Worker applicants (with no job offer)

Key resources for determining how your job measures up in Canada:
    National Occupations Matrix
    Search for your job on the National Occupation Code list
    NAFTA occupations
    Careers currently eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker program(with no proof of funds needed)
    Labour Market Opinion (needed in cases where a Canadian employer is offering a job to a foreigner in a field not currently designated as "high-need" by the Canadian government)

Some Canadian Work Resource and Job Search Websites:
    Working in Canada
    Service Canada’s Foreign Worker Program website
    Job Bank
    Workopolis

Other Routes to Permanent Residency in Canada
    For those who don't qualify as a skilled worker, there may still be hope.

Provincial Nominee Programs are a unique system where each province gets to recruit and designate its own immigrants. If you happen to be skilled in a field needed by that specific province, they just may designate you eligible to fast-track in as an immigrant, bypassing the federal skilled worker system altogether. Each province does things differently, so read the general overview for PNP possibilities, and then start researching what each particular province is looking for.

Québec is unique in that it gets to select its own immigrants who want to enter through the Federal Skilled Worker program. They also use a points system, but the characteristics are different, so sometimes those who don't qualify under the general Federal Skilled Worker program do qualify through the Québec selection program. Those who are deemed eligible to immigrate to Québec receive a Québec selection certificate which then enables them to apply through the Federal Skilled Worker scheme but immigrate to Québec specifically.

Canadian Experience Class gives fast-tracked residency options to those who have already worked or studied in Canada for a period of time under a temporary residence program.

Those with significant financial resources or entrepreneurs who are prepared to make significant investments in enterprises that will create jobs for Canadians might be eligible under the self-sustaining visas.

Finally, Canadian family sponsorship is often the fastest route to a visa, just like in the US.

For more information:
    Provincial Nominee Programs
    Québec-Selected Skilled Workers
    Canadian Experience Class
    Investors, Entrepreneurs, and Self-Employed
    Canadian Family Sponsorship

Other general resources.
    IELTS test of English for immigrants from non-English-speaking countries
    Canada's Criminal Inadmissibilities

A great online forum for Canadian Immigration
    A good resource site

Canadian Immigration Lawyers and Authorized Consultants used by i2us Members

Phil Mooney, CCIC
    Member, Canadian Society of Immigration Consultants (CSIC)
    CAI Toronto Inc.
    Suite 300, 1100 Burloak Drive
    Burlington , ON L7L 6B2
    tel; 1-905-633-9302 or 1-888-288-0801( North America )
    fax;1-905-332-7644
    President,
    Canadian Association of Professional Immigration Consultants (CAPIC)
    www.capic.ca

Mercan Captial, LTd.
    http://www.mercan.com/Home
    390 Notre-Dame West.
    Suite 410
    Montreal, QC H2Y 1T9
    Telephone: (514) 282-9214
    Fax: (514) 282-1084
    Email: info@mercan.com

Colin Singer
    http://www.immigration.ca/profile-profile.asp

Robinson, Sheppard, and Shapiro
    http://www.rsscanadaimmigration.com/

A few old threads where moving to Canada was discussed:
    1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Let's see what else we can come up with!
    Last edited by Los G; 04-03-2011 at 06:09 AM. Reason: trying to organize all of these resources
    Please post your immigration questions on the forum, not in a private message. Always consult an experienced lawyer before filing.
    *If you believe you or someone on your behalf checked the "US Citizen" box on an employment document, please do not send a private message. Talk to a trusted lawyer about what could happen. *
    Getting StartedGetting Legal Status for Your Loved OneWaiver Eligibility
    Recommended Lawyers Visa BulletinHelp from Elected OfficialsTranslations

Consular ProcessKnow before filingSpouse/Fiance Petition Petition Processing TimesNVC Stage Medical/InterviewI-601 WaiverAfter Approval
    Other Routes Adjustment of Status in the US Direct Consular Filing

Living Outside the USLife in MexicoMoving to Canada Moving to Other Countries

Officially banned for life w/no waiver (6cii)- but we don't give up! Read our story
    Lawyers I've worked with and highly recommend: Laurel Scott Laura Fernandez Lizz Cannon

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Los G For This Useful Post:

1930jm (04-18-2011),babyblue (05-29-2009),Hopefully (05-25-2009),jessfs8 (05-25-2009),lili530 (02-18-2010),norlopez (05-26-2009),Polla (09-06-2011),ppeinado (05-30-2012),ricapapa (05-27-2009),RubenO (05-30-2009),sharycharm (05-27-2010),sunnysol (05-26-2009),TamHam (12-30-2011),vieja loca (05-30-2009),waitingformyhusband (06-22-2009),y14gemini (05-27-2009),yoonie9681 (11-03-2011)

administradora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,674 Times in 4,965 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 10 Hrs 56 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 15 Mins 22 Secs
    bump

Cum Laude
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 236
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    7 days registeredVeteran1000 Experience Points5000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    6 Days 15 Hrs 2 Mins 30 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 7 Secs
    I can't see this thread and not want to sing "Oh, Canada".
    Our Timeline:
    ***09/?/02 Husband ewi from Mexico***7/22/07 Filed I130***7/17/08 NVC Case Complete***8/13/08 Move to Mexico***9/19/08 Visa appointment***
    11/19/08 Waiver appointment --> APPROVED!
    5/14/09 Finally back home in the U.S.!

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Hrs 29 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Secs
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I don't have any pertinent info...but I just want to say Toronto is AWESOME and it would def. be my first pick if I was relocating

Alumni Member
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 257
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    21 Hrs 41 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    50 Secs

1/2008- met DH
    5/2008- married DH
    11/2008- went from mami to mommy!
    5/2009- one year anniversary
    7/2009- leaving for deployment
    3/2010- back from Afghanistan
    2/2011- sent in I-130
    5/2011- baby number 2 due!

"Faith is taking the first step when you can't see the whole staircase" ~~~MLK, Jr.

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 11 Hrs 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Min 20 Secs
    My Mood
    Daring
    How is everything going for those of you who have filed for PR in Canada? We are currently still waiting-- my last letter from Canada was received on April 15- it stated that our application was received at the Regional Program Centre ( Buffalo) and that they were still working on a determination of whether or not our application is going to be elgible for processing.
    I am a little confused because I thought we were already pre approved by Nova Scotia thus our application was then sent to Buffalo for processing. Any insight?
    2008 ~ Husband receives 9C bar
    2011 ~ Our family immigrates to Canada

“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.”
    Flora Whittemore

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Recommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 8 Mins 23 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow
    MykaVal, I'm sorry you have to go through all the confusion, but it's nice to have someone going through this so the rest of us have a clue how it works.

I would agree with you, though. I thought pre-approval would mean your application already IS eligible for processing. ? ? ?
    Please post your immigration questions on the forum, not in a private message. Always consult an experienced lawyer before filing.
    *If you believe you or someone on your behalf checked the "US Citizen" box on an employment document, please do not send a private message. Talk to a trusted lawyer about what could happen. *

Consular ProcessKnow before filingSpouse/Fiance Petition Petition Processing TimesNVC Stage Medical/InterviewI-601 WaiverAfter Approval

Officially banned for life w/no waiver (6cii)- but we don't give up! Read our story
    Lawyers I've worked with and highly recommend: Laurel Scott Laura Fernandez Lizz Cannon

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 11 Hrs 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Min 20 Secs
    My Mood
    Daring
    Quote Originally Posted by Los G View Post
    MykaVal, I'm sorry you have to go through all the confusion, but it's nice to have someone going through this so the rest of us have a clue how it works.
    I have visited a few Canadian immigration forums- and it seems to be a widespread consensus that many people immigrating to Canada (especially through Buffalo) are a bit confused on the process. Perhaps Canada tends to take cases and look at them more individually - because everyone I have chatted with seemed to have a little different experience and the time frame was not consistent. I suppose it also depends on the route you take -whether it's school, a work permit, Provincial Nominee Program, or FSW- each has very different time lines on getting to Canada. What I was pretty impressed with was the fact that in my letter from the Canadian government, it stated that if our application was denied for whatever reason, all our fees would be refunded to us. That is great- especially considering that we lost about $3,000 in U.S government fees alone while trying to obtain a valid immigrant visa for my husband, which was impossible from the very beginning!
    I am also trying to figure out how I can get our family together while waiting for Canadian PR. My husband and I have decided that our family has been separated for over a year already-- and that is really about enough time! So whether we move to Guatemala and wait there or get my husband soon to Canada to study- is the decision were trying to make. Canada requires a hefty savings account for immigrating-- so that is a concern for us especially if we decide to hang out in Guate and wait-- not much income for us in Guate and selling papayas won't foot the bill for Canada ( my husband has a papaya farm ) So, I'll be doing more research on obtaining a study permit for him. If anyone has any experience on getting a study permit let me know.
    2008 ~ Husband receives 9C bar
    2011 ~ Our family immigrates to Canada

“The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live.”
    Flora Whittemore

Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    4 Hrs 20 Mins 35 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Secs
    Hello there, I just want to make a quick question. For a person that got a ban or denial for US, and then decides to get a canadian citizenship, does that allow him to enter in US as tourist? I understand that canadian citizens just need their passports to cross legally to US. Am I correct?
    "El Senor es mi Pastor, nada me falta. Por verdes praderas me conduces. Aunque pase por canadas oscuras no temere porque Tu estas conimgo. La mesa has preparado para mi, frente a mis adversarios. Iran conmigo la dicha y tu favor mientras dure mi vida" Salmo 23

Mar 3rd 2009 - 1st appt. Cd.Juarez
    May 6th 2009- Waiver appointment
    Hired lawyer: Ana Maria Schwartz
    Apr 30th 2009 - Waiver appt. canceled due to swine flu!
    June 23th 2009 - New waiver appointment
    June 25th 2009 - APPROVED!!!
    Thank you God and Virgencita!!!
    Thank you Annie Schwartz!!!

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 8 Mins 23 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow
    That's an interesting question, MrsHouston. I guess it would depend on how exactly Canadian passports are inspected. For example, if it's just a visual inspection, it's very likely someone could be granted entry with no problems. If it's the kind where they scan it into a computer and such, there might be more problems because I'm pretty sure they're able to pull up a person's info even if they're using a different country's passport than originally.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Los G For This Useful Post:

MrsHouston (06-16-2009)

Page 1 of 43 1236 ... LastLast

Thread Information