Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Dual Nationality.... (Citizenship)

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Points: 26,241, Level: 70
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Admin25000 Experience Points
    y14gemini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Time Online
    4 Wks 8 Hrs 25 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    14 Mins 8 Secs
    My Mood
    Country: United States

    Dual Nationality.... (Citizenship)

    Below is some information and links on obtaining Dual Nationality (Citizenship)...

    Dual Nationality

    The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time. Each country has its own citizenship laws based on its own policy.Persons may have dual nationality by automatic operation of different laws rather than by choice. For example, a child born in a foreign country to U.S. citizen parents may be both a U.S. citizen and a citizen of the country of birth.

    A U.S. citizen may acquire foreign citizenship by marriage, or a person naturalized as a U.S. citizen may not lose the citizenship of the country of birth.U.S. law does not mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another. Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

    Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

    However, dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country. They are required to obey the laws of both countries. Either country has the right to enforce its laws, particularly if the person later travels there.Most U.S. citizens, including dual nationals, must use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the United States. Dual nationals may also be required by the foreign country to use its passport to enter and leave that country. Use of the foreign passport does not endanger U.S. citizenship.Most countries permit a person to renounce or otherwise lose citizenship.

    Information on losing foreign citizenship can be obtained from the foreign country's embassy and consulates in the United States. Americans can renounce U.S. citizenship in the proper form at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad.
    You can also go to this website and choose the country that you wish or are thinking about obtaining Dual Nationality in. Once you choose the country and the info comes up scroll down to "Dual Nationality". I also recommend that you contact the local consulate (consulado) of that country.

    Also here are some other posts where members have posted their thoughts and experiences.

    Dual Citizenship for a Child

    Dual Citizenship for US born Children

    Dual Nationalities Question

    Dual Citizenship

    Dual Citizenship for kids

    There are many more threads. You can always use the search feature (upper right hand corner) and do a search on Dual Nationality or Dual Citizenship.
    Be joyful in hope, Patient in affliction, Faithful in prayer....Romans 12:12

    No matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life goes on, and it will be better tomorrow -- Maya Angelou

    I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel -- Maya Angelou

    No advice given on this site is to be considered legal advice.
    Please consult with an immigration lawyer.

  2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to y14gemini For This Useful Post:

    ab&abforever (07-20-2010),brendacs (04-30-2009),candiathis (10-23-2010),ChicaAzteca (12-09-2009),cupcake (01-24-2009),Danny (09-26-2009),Emily (06-27-2009),Guedez (03-24-2011),johnmkv (07-07-2011),lilly (01-24-2009),mandy (02-23-2011),Rafasgal (04-26-2009),steph* (10-07-2011),suarezgal (05-09-2013),TSK (01-24-2009)

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts