Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 39

Thread: Immigration reform 2013

  1. #21
    Valedictorian
    Points: 6,357, Level: 34
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered5000 Experience PointsTagger First Class

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Honduras
    Posts
    1,559
    Points
    6,357
    Level
    34
    Thanks
    1,165
    Thanked 1,090 Times in 655 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 15 Hrs 34 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Mins 26 Secs
    My Mood
    Approved
    Country: Honduras

    Immigration reform 2013

    Quote Originally Posted by TMan View Post
    You can't really have an immigration reform discussion without involving the political side of it. It's almost unavoidable.
    I certainly agree with this. As far as spouses of USC goes... I'm afraid I have to agree with others, it seems unlikely that any law passed (or proposed for that matter) will address issues faced by many families. There just aren't *enough* of us and the general public is not terribly sympathetic to the cause of family unification if a spouse has broken immigration law. The nuance of 364 versus 366 days or brought as a child and currently 29 versus 32 don't surface because the policies themselves are hidden. I read an article about the I-601a process that pegged the procedural change as a "new law," lets face it: the reporting on immigration is pretty terrible. The folks who face hardship are trying to fix their situations and survive. Folks are geographically spread out and lack the organization Dreamers have achieved. Anyone want to get together and hire a lobbyist?
    11/28/08 Husband left the USA
    11/28/13 INA 212(6)(B) 5 year unwaivable ban ended
    12/14/13 Waiver Packet Mailed
    12/17/13 Nebraska Received Waiver Packet
    01/21/14 Medical Appointment
    01/29/14 Visa Interview
    07/01/14 601 & 212 Approved
    Lizz Cannon was our lawyer

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to silverlining For This Useful Post:

    gdr3106 (01-17-2013)

  3. #22
    Newbie
    Points: 5,323, Level: 31
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    17
    Points
    5,323
    Level
    31
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 4 Hrs 38 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 39 Secs
    I think that we enter year 2014 without CIR. Republicans aren't ready for CIR yet.I hope I'm wrong.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to abcs105 For This Useful Post:

    Coventrated (01-17-2013)

  5. #23
    Illustrissimi
    Points: 13,741, Level: 50
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran10000 Experience Points
    gdr3106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    5,655
    Points
    13,741
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    672
    Thanked 535 Times in 468 Posts
    Time Online
    3 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 17 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    21 Mins 1 Sec
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by waitingdreamer View Post
    I certainly agree with this. As far as spouses of USC goes... I'm afraid I have to agree with others, it seems unlikely that any law passed (or proposed for that matter) will address issues faced by many families. There just aren't *enough* of us and the general public is not terribly sympathetic to the cause of family unification if a spouse has broken immigration law. The nuance of 364 versus 366 days or brought as a child and currently 29 versus 32 don't surface because the policies themselves are hidden. I read an article about the I-601a process that pegged the procedural change as a "new law," lets face it: the reporting on immigration is pretty terrible. The folks who face hardship are trying to fix their situations and survive. Folks are geographically spread out and lack the organization Dreamers have achieved. Anyone want to get together and hire a lobbyist?
    I totally agree with you. The vast majority of the public has no idea what our immigration laws really look like. Do you know how many times I have heard DACA referred to as an amnesty program. When I speak about the laws, people are genuinely shocked. I think the best we can do is spread the word. Tell people how unfair and unjust these laws are. The more people know about the problems, the more likely they will be not to spread false stories and rumors about them. Granted there will always be anti-immigrant activists everywhere, but some don't know where they fall in the immigration spectrum simply because they don't know what immigration entails. I have a lot of respect for the DREAMers for making their voices heard. Wish we could all do that.


    july 1999-hubby EWI from Mexico
    may 14, 2009-married
    august 13, 2009-sent in I-130
    august 16, 2009-lockbox received our I-130
    august 20, 2009-check cashed
    august 23, 2009- received NOA 1 from CSC
    october 26, 2009- I-130 approved!

    August 27, 2012-Attorney re-filed I-130
    September 6, 2012- USCIS cashed check
    September 7, 2012- NOA 1
    February 14, 2013- I-130 Approved


    *take nothing I say as legal advice*

    Ana Maria Schwartz is our attorney
    http://www.schwartzimmigration.com/



  6. #24
    Illustrissimi
    Points: 12,782, Level: 48
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranNew Achievement!Three Friends10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,246
    Points
    12,782
    Level
    48
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 716 Times in 626 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 4 Days 20 Hrs 12 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    32 Mins 15 Secs
    Of course by definition the process is Political, which is why I am reasonably sure this thread will be closed.

    Obama introduced DACA for political reasons at a politically appropriate time. It is temporary amnesty, it also provides the Government with a database.

    Any future changes will also be Political. Obviously those sub sets that can bring money and votes, or lots of one or the other, will be heard most.

  7. #25
    Illustrissimi
    Points: 13,741, Level: 50
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran10000 Experience Points
    gdr3106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    5,655
    Points
    13,741
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    672
    Thanked 535 Times in 468 Posts
    Time Online
    3 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 17 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    21 Mins 1 Sec
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Of course it's political.

    I think our definitions of amnesty may be different, which is fine. I don't view a temporary pardon with zero pathway to citizenship as an amnesty program. But to each their own. What I hear from people who are referring to this as amnesty is that they believe this IS the Dream Act, and these people are getting green cards and a pathway to citizenship. They speak of this so called amnesty program with no interest in actually learning about what the program entails. I hear radio hosts discussing this, and spreading their personal views which hold no factual merit, and it bothers me. These are regular joe-schmos who don't bother to educate themselves on the process, yet they speak about it on the airways in such a negative light, and then naturally many of the uneducated listeners follow suite, and BAM more people discussing their ideas of what an immigration program is. That was my point. That people need to speak up about what it is..any type of immigration law, and educate the masses. Nothing can be done if people don't understand the problems.


    july 1999-hubby EWI from Mexico
    may 14, 2009-married
    august 13, 2009-sent in I-130
    august 16, 2009-lockbox received our I-130
    august 20, 2009-check cashed
    august 23, 2009- received NOA 1 from CSC
    october 26, 2009- I-130 approved!

    August 27, 2012-Attorney re-filed I-130
    September 6, 2012- USCIS cashed check
    September 7, 2012- NOA 1
    February 14, 2013- I-130 Approved


    *take nothing I say as legal advice*

    Ana Maria Schwartz is our attorney
    http://www.schwartzimmigration.com/



  8. #26
    administradora
    Points: 138,076, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    cupcake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    BBNB
    Posts
    23,519
    Points
    138,076
    Level
    100
    Thanks
    2,241
    Thanked 7,674 Times in 4,965 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 10 Hrs 56 Mins 25 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 15 Mins 23 Secs
    Country: Fiji
    Amnesty is a legal pardon of violations.

    For amnesty in the immigration world, it usually means a way to legal permanent residency.


    DACA, TPS, etc are temporary relief from removal. Sometimes the temporary relief provides a way to work legally and suspension of being removed.


    None of these usually provide a way to legal permanent residency. In order for this to happen, usually laws would have to change. These are just policy changes.


    Deferred action (and not just for DACA) is like a suspension in executing an order of removal. Judges and ICE have been doing this for years. It has nothing to do with giving people green cards.



    TPS = Temporary Protected Status

    DACA = Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to cupcake For This Useful Post:

    gdr3106 (01-17-2013)

  10. #27
    Illustrissimi
    Points: 12,782, Level: 48
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranNew Achievement!Three Friends10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,246
    Points
    12,782
    Level
    48
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 716 Times in 626 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 4 Days 20 Hrs 12 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    32 Mins 15 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by gdr3106 View Post
    Of course it's political.

    I think our definitions of amnesty may be different, which is fine. I don't view a temporary pardon with zero pathway to citizenship as an amnesty program. But to each their own. What I hear from people who are referring to this as amnesty is that they believe this IS the Dream Act, and these people are getting green cards and a pathway to citizenship. They speak of this so called amnesty program with no interest in actually learning about what the program entails. I hear radio hosts discussing this, and spreading their personal views which hold no factual merit, and it bothers me. These are regular joe-schmos who don't bother to educate themselves on the process, yet they speak about it on the airways in such a negative light, and then naturally many of the uneducated listeners follow suite, and BAM more people discussing their ideas of what an immigration program is. That was my point. That people need to speak up about what it is..any type of immigration law, and educate the masses. Nothing can be done if people don't understand the problems.


    Radio Hosts have more limited ability to research topics thrown at them, the author here could have done some basic research but chose not to. Unfortunately this seems the norm in most areas of the media.
    Last edited by cupcake; 01-18-2013 at 03:38 PM. Reason: off topic

  11. #28
    Illustrissimi
    Points: 13,741, Level: 50
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 59
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran10000 Experience Points
    gdr3106's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    new jersey
    Posts
    5,655
    Points
    13,741
    Level
    50
    Thanks
    672
    Thanked 535 Times in 468 Posts
    Time Online
    3 Wks 1 Day 17 Hrs 17 Mins 46 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    21 Mins 1 Sec
    My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Quote Originally Posted by Coventrated View Post

    Radio Hosts have more limited ability to research topics thrown at them, the author here could have done some basic research but chose not to. Unfortunately this seems the norm in most areas of the media.
    Anyone who is reiterating a law or policy should do research. If the have limited ability while on air, they should do it on their own time. They should take pride in their work. The media doesn't hold speaking the truth as a priority anymore, and this is what I was talking about. People don't understand that, and believe what they see, hear, or read, and rumors and false information is passed. This is a problem when it comes to the world of immigration.


    july 1999-hubby EWI from Mexico
    may 14, 2009-married
    august 13, 2009-sent in I-130
    august 16, 2009-lockbox received our I-130
    august 20, 2009-check cashed
    august 23, 2009- received NOA 1 from CSC
    october 26, 2009- I-130 approved!

    August 27, 2012-Attorney re-filed I-130
    September 6, 2012- USCIS cashed check
    September 7, 2012- NOA 1
    February 14, 2013- I-130 Approved


    *take nothing I say as legal advice*

    Ana Maria Schwartz is our attorney
    http://www.schwartzimmigration.com/



  12. #29
    Illustrissimi
    Points: 12,782, Level: 48
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranNew Achievement!Three Friends10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,246
    Points
    12,782
    Level
    48
    Thanks
    340
    Thanked 716 Times in 626 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 4 Days 20 Hrs 12 Mins 36 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    32 Mins 15 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by gdr3106 View Post
    Anyone who is reiterating a law or policy should do research. If the have limited ability while on air, they should do it on their own time. They should take pride in their work. The media doesn't hold speaking the truth as a priority anymore, and this is what I was talking about. People don't understand that, and believe what they see, hear, or read, and rumors and false information is passed. This is a problem when it comes to the world of immigration.
    The Daily Show the other day diid a piece by John Oliver on CNN and the closure of their investigating news. I could not believe it, checked it and it is true. Ditto MSNBC.

    And the local News Channels, well.....

  13. #30
    Alumni Member
    Points: 3,962, Level: 26
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    purplepenguins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    854
    Points
    3,962
    Level
    26
    Thanks
    303
    Thanked 751 Times in 348 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 4 Days 14 Hrs 5 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    22 Mins 17 Secs
    I really encourage all of us here, who are invested in keeping our families together, to stop using the word "illegal". I feel sad every time I read someone on here talking about their husband or family member as an "illegal immigrant" or "an illegal". I really believe in the power of words. If the news calls someone "illegal", who will feel sympathetic and want to help them with CIR? The words we use matter. I read newspaper articles online and get frustrated when all the comments say "What part of ILLEGAL don't you understand? No drivers licenses for DREAMers! No DACA! Go home and stand in line to come here the LEGAL way!"

    Of course, these people don't understand- that there's no "line" to go stand in, there's never was any way for most undocumented immigrants to ever legally come here, that its unfair to tell a DREAMer to leave the only country they know. But all they see is "illegal" and automatically think criminal.

    I agree violent criminals need to be deported, but not our family members. Some may say undocumented v. illegal doesn't make a difference, but I really believe that by calling our family members illegal, we aren't doing them any favors in the court of public opinion. Just my 2 cents.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to purplepenguins For This Useful Post:

    yaremi (01-19-2013)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •