New Achievement!1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Days 18 Hrs 27 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 35 Secs

Bank account without ssn?

Does anyone know which banks will let you open an account or add someone to an account without a ssn or state id?

My boyfriend currently uses Wells Fargo, but they charge him $15 dollars a month just for having an account. We went to another bank to try and open an account together, so that I will be able to have access to his account should anything happen (we had an issue with his debit card one time and WF wouldn't even speak to me despite him telling the person on the phone that they could), but the guy said they can't open or add someone to an account without an AL state id. I chose that one because I know people that don't have ssn/ state id and they have accounts there, so I'm not sure if we just got the wrong person or if they really can't do it.

Summa Cum Laude
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,848 Times in 5,584 Posts
    Time Online
    4 Mths 1 Wk 4 Days 23 Hrs 13 Mins 5 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 55 Mins 53 Secs
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Bank of America , Chase, PNC all accept ITIN & Matricula. Does he have a Matricula? Also is the 15 month because he doesn't have direct deposit and is always going thru the bank / teller?
    We Were Not Defeated by: J Roma March 18 2010 Mexico City

Magna Cum Laude
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 552
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Blog entryTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,805 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    1 Mth 4 Wks 1 Day 1 Hr 18 Mins 43 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    51 Mins 51 Secs
    My Mood
    Busy
    Ditto. ITIN and any form of gov't id should work. Some of the bigger banks that operate overseas such as Bank of America have more friendly policies because they're used to seeing foreign spouses.
    ~I am not a lawyer~

Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 116
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Days 18 Hrs 27 Mins 39 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 35 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ALONSO View Post
    Bank of America , Chase, PNC all accept ITIN & Matricula. Does he have a Matricula? Also is the 15 month because he doesn't have direct deposit and is always going thru the bank / teller?
    Thanks, I'll have to check and see if we have any of those around here. He has a Matricula. That's what he used for the WF account and what we tried to use with this other bank . According to his statmenys, they're charging a $5.00 monthly service fee for savings and a $10.00 monthly service fee for checking/debit.

Alumni Member
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 5 Days 10 Hrs 31 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    21 Mins 30 Secs
    Check around. My husband had a Well Fargo and a BB&T account in NC and I put him on my Bank of America account. He used his Guatemalan passport and ITIN to open them. We recently moved to MA and opened an account at a small local credit union. They also used his passport and ITIN. I had a roommate who was an international student from Bangladesh. She had a bank account, no problem, although she didn't have a NC state ID. She was eligible to get one. She finally did after about 2 and a half years in the US because she was sick of having to bring her passport everywhere to get into bars It could be that the bank was just being jerks. AL is also very anti-immigrant. Good luck!

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 149
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Created Blog entry1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Days 19 Hrs 6 Mins 13 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    4 Mins 15 Secs
    I would definitely try bank of America first.
    We were trying to open a bank account for my wife a few months ago and we had to go to three different BOA branches before finding someone who was very nice and eager to help us.
    Most banks we went to wanted a SSN, which my wife does not have.
    Some of the bank people made a big deal that my wife does not have a SSN and a drivers license, it really made my wife feel very uncomfortable with some of these bank employees.
    Fortunately, we were lucky to get a very sweet helpful BOA employee at a branch a little further away from us. She opened a checking account for my wife without a SSN and helped my wife get a debit card with her photo . The only thing my wife needed was her passport for ID.

It really depends on who is helping you , some may not want to help and some will.
    Don't let one bank discourage you if they are unwilling to open an account for your husband, eventually somone will be nice enough to do it.

Valedictorian
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Your first Group1 year registered1000 Experience PointsOverdrive5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    3 Wks 4 Days 14 Hrs 16 Mins 17 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    42 Mins 21 Secs
    My Mood
    Apprehensive
    With an ITIN get a western union prepaid visa, no mthly fees , 2 cards can be requested for acct. and it can be used worldwide, Direct Deposits can be made to the card, and if someone sends U money U dont have to go to wu just transfer the funds to your card on the phone.

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 452
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entryTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    1 Wk 15 Hrs 4 Mins 55 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 41 Secs
    My Mood
    Amazed
    Back when Mr. G was illegal I tried to add him to my existing accounts at a regional bank called Tri-Counties, and not only did they refuse to do it, the woman who I dealt with was particularly rude about it. I still remember her taking one look at Mr. G and asking in a very snotty tone, "Um, what is his status in this country?." I withdrew all of my money and we went across the street to Bank of America who welcomed us with open arms. Since I had a social security number and Mr. G had his matricula consular, opening a checking account and savings account was quick and easy.

In the years since then, B of A has done plenty of things to peeve me off, but the one thing I have always appreciated has been their outreach towards the Hispanic community. They even send me my statements in Spanish, which is hilarious because it certainly isn't necessary, but is still a nice gesture.
    All I can promise is that my intentions are good.

I am a U.S. citizen by birth, married to a man born in Mexico. He received his legal permanent residence visa in June of 2006 through my sponsorship and became a proud US citizen on November 18, 2009. We did not utilize the services of an attorney during any point in our immigration and naturalization journey. Although we were successfull without legal counsel, I would not advise anyone to make such a decision without very careful consideration. Every case is different and what was right for us and our case might not be the best choice for you and yours. Click here to view the details of our case.

Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God - Matthew 4:4

Thread Information