Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Information and Discussion (part 2)

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Hr 30 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Secs
    Hello, wife got approved, now has Work Authorization, went to Social Security office, received SS Card, went to DMW applied for State ID! Does anyone know how long it would take to receive the ID card. Also does anyone know with the California State ID can she travel within the US?

administradora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 4,959 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 9 Hrs 4 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 17 Mins 14 Secs
    myg2be:

Congratulations! Are you asking about the state ID card? How long it takes to receive the state ID card probably depends on the state. The DMV (or DMW) website may have information about that.

I think that she could travel with a state issued ID, but you may want to check with TSA, the airline she may use, and the state rules about whether her ID will be considered official, government issued ID.

Everyone:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...?utm_hp_ref=tw

Iowa will give DACA recipients driver's licenses according to this article!

North Caroline and Michigan are supposedly reviewing their previous denial of driver's licenses to DACA recipients, too:

WASHINGTON -- The state of Iowa will now grant driver's licenses to young undocumented immigrants granted deferred action by the Obama administration, a reversal in the wake of new guidelines from the federal government to clarify whether immigrants allowed to stay in the country can be defined as "lawfully present."

Iowa was one of five states -- Arizona, Michigan, Iowa, Nebraska and North Carolina -- that banned deferred action recipients from receiving driver's licenses or took existing ones away. Two of those states, North Carolina and Michigan, confirmed to HuffPost on Wednesday they are reviewing their policies.

"The new information announced late last Friday from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services changes the definition of persons granted Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival status," Iowa Department of Transportations officials said in a statement on Wednesday.

The controversy over driver's licenses is based on legal jargon and -- according to some -- opposition to the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program as a whole. But it has serious implications for young undocumented immigrants such as Constanza Villarroel, an 18-year-old high school senior in North Carolina who was granted deferred action last year. Villarroel wants a driver's license so she can join clubs and volunteer, she said, but was turned away from multiple Department of Motor Vehicles offices in the past week -- sometimes after waiting for hours. She is one of 154,404 young undocumented immigrants nationwide who have been granted deferred action since the program began last August.

Deferred action recipients are not in "lawful status" while they're staying in the U.S. -- they're still undocumented, and they could still be deported based on Department of Homeland Security discretion. Arizona, Michigan, Iowa and Nebraska announced last year that those immigrants therefore could not legally be granted driver's licenses because the law requires them to be legally present. North Carolina canceled already-issued driver's licenses for deferred action recipients earlier this month, citing the same reason. Civil rights groups have sued Arizona and Michigan for blocking driver's licenses.

But the Department of Homeland Security clarified the issue on Friday, if indirectly. Although driver's licenses or state laws are not mentioned, a new FAQ on the agency website defines recipients as "considered to be lawfully present in the United States" during the two-year period for the policy.

Fred Woodhams, a spokesman for the Michigan Secretary of State's office, said the state's existing policy is still in place, but that they are reviewing the information put out from USCIS.

North Carolina has another potential reason to reverse course. The state's Chief Deputy Attorney General Grayson Kelley sent a letter to the Department of Motor Vehicles there weighing in on the legality of driver's licenses for deferred action recipients. He wrote that "individuals who have been granted deferred action under the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy directive are lawfully present in the United States during the period of deferment" -- meaning they could legally be given licenses.

The state is reviewing his letter, but a decision has not yet been made, Greer Beaty, communications director for the North Carolina Department of Transportation, told HuffPost in an email.

"It took four months for the Attorney General to offer his opinion; it will take the DMV a few days to review that opinion and all its potential implications," she wrote. "We will notify the public once our review is complete."

A spokesman for Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer (R) did not respond to a request for comment on the state's policy on driver's licenses for deferred action recipients. Brewer issued an executive order last August -- on the day the government began accepting deferred action applications -- to ban the state from issuing driver's licenses to those impacted by the policy. That action was considered by many to be retribution against a policy that helps many undocumented immigrants, given Brewer's past history as a hardliner on the issue.

Arizona State Sen. Steve Gallardo, a Democrat, said he doesn't expect Brewer to want to begin giving driver's licenses to undocumented young people.

"She's never done anything in Arizona to be very pro-immigrant," he said.

Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 139
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Hr 30 Mins 8 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Secs
    Thank you cupcake.

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registeredThree Friends1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    6 Days 15 Hrs 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    14 Mins 5 Secs

Traveling on DACA?

Read an article on ILW about if USCIS will develop fair, humane travel policies for DACA recipients. Currently, from my understanding DACA recipients are allowed to travel only adavnced humanitarian parole...but wouldn't it be awesome if there was a new rule to include traveling to visit family abroad, and to study overseas?

Has anybody else heard anything on this issue or was this just an article someone wrote to open doors, trying to initiate this to happen?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registeredThree Friends1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    6 Days 15 Hrs 48 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    14 Mins 5 Secs

Approvals taking longer than expected?

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has been on standstill on hearing anything back from USCIS after having their fingerprints done? Our situation is, I helped two of my husbands cousin to file the deferred action. One sister took her fingerprints before the other. The one sister who did her fingerprints two weeks.later got her approval within a few weeks. She's already gotten her social and workers permit card. The other sister who got her fingerprints done first has not hears back. Its been 3 months already. We are sure she doesn't have any criminal record so that can't possibly be the holdup. She's getting really worried...I was wondering if there is any type of order that USCIS might be going through when processing these applications? For example do they have preference to process those who are in a younger age bracket or.who are currently still in high school? Or its just a.matter of who's hands these applications falls into as oppose to a first come first serve basis? I know we don't know a hundred percent on how they operate, but would like to know of anyone might have an idea. My husbands cousin is so worried that they probably denied her and just to ease her mind a little I want to give her positive scenarios on what the holdup could be.

Thanks all for your help!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

administradora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 4,959 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 9 Hrs 4 Mins 15 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 17 Mins 14 Secs
    I think some of of it is based on biometrics processing. mandm asked about this a few pages ago in this thread because she noticed processing time inconsistency, too.

Cum Laude
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 298
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1000 Experience Points1 year registered5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Mth 3 Days 4 Hrs 38 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    48 Mins 44 Secs
    My Mood
    Relaxed
    llazaro, what service center is your application at?
    Our full timeline!

10/2/11 - Husband left to Mexico
    8/6/12 - Visa Interview (okay to file waiver)
    11/14/12 - Waiver Approved!!
    12/21/12 - Brought husband home with us finally

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    6 Days 18 Hrs 48 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    9 Mins 27 Secs

Re: Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Information and Discussion (part 2)

Quote Originally Posted by myg2be View Post
    Hello, wife got approved, now has Work Authorization, went to Social Security office, received SS Card, went to DMW applied for State ID! Does anyone know how long it would take to receive the ID card. Also does anyone know with the California State ID can she travel within the US?
    Congrats! She can absolutely travel within the USA with her ID. IDs and DLs are both government issued IDs...not everyone in the US drives.

By the way, you can also travel within the US with your passport from your birth country. I have been doing it for the last seven years. My parents often visit me in NY from CA and they have never had a problem. I called a few Airlines back in 2005 when I had to travel but was scared to use my Mexican passport. They assured me that they were a business and not immigration and therefore they wanted my business but they needed to make sure I was who I said I was and a government issued passport from ANY country is sufficient and would not be a problem with TSA.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
    1990 EWI (at 4 yrs old)
    2005 Met Husband (USC)
    2007 Got Married!!
    2009 Graduated Nursing School with Honors
    2010 Gave birth to our baby boy
    10-18-2011 Submitted I 130
    03-26-2012 NOA- I 130 Approved!
    12/28/2012 DACA Approved!
    11/20/2013 Submitted I-601A
    11/21/2013 Acceptance
    11/25/2013 MSC # received
    12/26/2013 Biometrics done
    5/20/2014 Waiver Approved!!

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Three FriendsCreated Blog entryYour first Group1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Days 11 Hrs 49 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 49 Secs
    My Mood
    Cool

Question DACA Evidence

I wanted to acknowledge the evidence types used in DACA applications.

I think it would be great if we could talk about the types of evidence we, or people we know, used in lieu of "ideal primary evidence" such as check stubs, bank statements, etc. that ended up being successful.

I know that all cases are adjudicated on a case-by-case basis and something that worked for one case may not be applicable to another, but I think it would be an ideal resource for those beginning the DACA application process to have a go-to place that deals strictly with evidence, since it is such a large component of a DACA application. In the many pages of discussion we have on other portions of the forum, we have touched on evidence types, but I feel like it may be easy to get lost.

According to USCIS, evidence required includes:

Proof of Identity
    - Passport or national identity document from your country of origin
    - Birth certificate with photo identification
    - School or military ID with photo
    - Any U.S. government immigration or other document bearing your name and photo

Proof you came to U.S. before your 16th birthday
    - Passport with admission stamp
    - Form I-94/I-95/I-94W
    - School records from the U.S. schools you have attended
    - Any Immigration and Naturalization Service or DHS document stating your date of entry (Form I-862, Notice to Appear)
    - Travel records
    - Hospital or medical records

Proof of immigration status
    - Form I-94/I-95/I-94W with authorized stay expiration date
    - Final order of exclusion, deportation, or removal issued as of June 15, 2012
    - A charging document placing you into removal proceedings

Proof of presence in U.S. on June 15, 2012 AND Proof you continuously resided in U.S. since June 15, 2007
    - Rent receipts or utility bills
    - Employment records (pay stubs, W-2 Forms, etc)
    - School records (letters, report cards, etc)
    - Military records (Form DD-214 or NGB Form 22)
    - Official records from a religious entity confirming participation in a religious ceremony
    - Copies of money order receipts for money sent in or out of the country
    - Passport entries
    - Birth certificates of children born in the U.S.
    - Dated bank transactions
    - Social Security card
    - Automobile license receipts or registration
    - Deeds, mortgages, rental agreement contracts
    - Tax receipts, insurance policies

Proof of your student status at the time of requesting consideration of deferred action for childhood arrivals
    - School records (transcripts, report cards, etc) from the school that you are currently attending in the United States showing the name(s) of the school(s) and periods of school attendance and the current educational or grade level
    - U.S. high school diploma or certificate of completion
    - U.S. GED certificate

Proof you are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the U.S. (If Applicable)
    - Form DD-214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty
    - NGB Form 22, National Guard Report of Separation and Record of Service
    - Military personnel records
    - Military health records

Sometimes, people find themselves missing different portions of their proof - this is a place where I'd like us to share what we have used - similar to the I-601 review pages.

This is what was used in our packet (including forms):
    - Form G-1145 for E-Notification
    - Form G-28 for the attorney/representative
    - Form I-821D
    - Form I-765
    - Form I-765WS

IDENTITY DOCS
    - Translation of Birth Certificate
    - Original Birth Certificate
    - Matricula Consular

ENTRY PRIOR TO AGE 16
    - School records

JUNE 15, 2007 - JUNE 15, 2012
    - church letter acknowledging attendance - seal
    - letter from owner of business where he patronizes consistently since 2008 - notarized
    - letter from aunt attesting to his presence - notarized
    - tax 1040 forms 2007-2011
    - birth certificate for child born in this time in 2008
    - receipt for money sent to Department of Revenue in 2009 w/ date
    - vehicle title from 2009
    - money wire receipts for a couple months in 2010
    - engagement photos from 2011

PRESENCE ON/AROUND JUNE 15, 2012
    - my notarized letter for him
    - a letter from a coworker acknowledging seeing him every day since March 2007 (he worked 7 days a week aside from sick days... I wish I was kidding)
    - electronic docket search from the county of his divorce with dates showing it had been filed for him by his attorney
    - medical records
    - divorce record
    - marriage certificate

STUDENT STATUS PROOF
    - school registration form (he is finishing his HSD through alternative high school in the district we live in in lieu of a GED)

OTHER SUPPORTING DOCS
    - Letter from County Clerk attesting no criminal record (w/ Seal)
    Don't hold strong opinions on things you don't understand.

♫ If you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true. ♫

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." - Leviticus 19:33-34

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Three FriendsCreated Blog entryYour first Group1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    2 Days 11 Hrs 49 Mins 32 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    3 Mins 49 Secs
    My Mood
    Cool
    It would be awesome... BUT unfortunately as of right now it's just a dream! Since we have just recently submitted our application, we have our minds on on hubby's approval. It would be nice to go meet my father-in-law, though!
    Don't hold strong opinions on things you don't understand.

♫ If you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true. ♫

“When a stranger sojourns with you in your land, you shall not do him wrong. You shall treat the stranger who sojourns with you as the native among you, and you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." - Leviticus 19:33-34

Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11141516171821 ... LastLast

Thread Information