Thread: Expedites

administradora
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Blog entry1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!OverdriveTagger First Class
    Awards:
    Most PopularAdmin
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,693 Times in 4,969 Posts
    Time Online
    2 Mths 3 Wks 11 Hrs 44 Mins 10 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 12 Mins 36 Secs

Expedites

IMPORTANT NOTES FOR ALL EXPEDITE REQUESTS

Requesting an expedite is not an easy decision because the circumstances that USCIS refers to below need to be extremely serious, as in, life or death types of situations or dire equivalents. Do not send an expedite request if circumstances have not changed/become life-threateningly worse since the I-601 was submitted.

• Expedites can be for either the applicant/beneficiary or the petitioner/US citizen.
    • An approved expedite does not mean an approved I-601 waiver.
    • If you are working with an attorney, your attorney must file the expedite.
    • Expedites take away from normal adjudication time.
    • Please follow your adjudicating consulate's directions for sending an expedite.

According to USCIS:

"Applicants for Waivers of Inadmissibility, Form I-601, may request that the USCIS office expedite adjudication of the I-601 waiver application when there are extraordinary circumstances that are time-sensitive, compelling, and necessitate the applicant’s presence in the United States sooner than would be possible if the application were processed under normal processing times. The strong desire to immigrate to the United States as soon as possible is not by itself “extraordinary.”

Expedites must contain evidence of the extraordinary and compelling circumstances.

All requests to expedite must be in writing and should include the language “I-601 Expedite Request” in the subject line of the email request.

EXPEDITE BASED ON PETITIONER/US CITIZEN

From the USCIS website - REASONS FOR AN EXPEDITE:

• Severe financial loss to company or individual
    • Extreme emergent situation
    • Humanitarian situation
    • Nonprofit status of requesting organization in furtherance of the cultural and social interests of the United States
    • Department of Defense or National Interest Situation (Note: Request must come from official United States Government entity and state that delay will be detrimental to our Government)
    • USCIS error
    • Compelling interest of USCIS

EXPEDITE BASED ON APPLICANT: *

* NOTE: Examples of some of these circumstances listed below are referring to the applicant/beneficiary, but can/will apply to the US citizen/petitioner, too. This is not a full list, only examples. See Policy Memorandum for more details.

• Applicant has urgent and critical medical needs that cannot be addressed in applicant's home country;
    • Applicant is needed in the US to assist a family member with serious/critical/urgent medical condition. Family member in the US has a serious medical condition and has urgent and critical medical needs related to that condition that require the applicant to assist the family member in the United States;
    • Death or serious illness. Applicant is faced with urgent circumstances related to the death or serious illness of a family member;
    • Applicant's age, serious medical condition, or disability that has become worse due to applicant being outside the US;
    • Applicant's safety. Applicant is at risk of serious harm due to personal circumstances distinct from the general safety conditions of those living in the applicant’s country;
    • US citizen/qualifying relative is a member of the military who is deployed or will soon be deployed;

EXPEDITE REVIEW BASED ON ADMINISTRATIVE ERRORS:

Please see here for chart.

HOW WILL THE PETITIONER BE NOTIFIED THEIR EXPEDITE REQUEST WAS GRANTED?

If the request to expedite the adjudication of an I-601 waiver is approved, the USCIS office will notify the applicant within 15 days of receipt of the request.

If no response is received with 15 days, the applicant must presume the request for the expeditious adjudication has been denied.

Please be aware that approval to expedite adjudication of an I-601 waiver application does not guarantee approval of the I-601 waiver application, but only that consideration and adjudication of the I-601 waiver application will be expeditiously handled.

If the request for expedited processing is denied, the waiver will be adjudicated within normal processing times.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to cupcake For This Useful Post:

analea84 (03-23-2013),augustin (06-11-2013),AvilesW (04-27-2012),bvallejo (05-07-2012),candela (05-02-2013),candiathis (07-29-2012),fortal (02-25-2013),Guedez (04-27-2012),HD2004 (04-27-2012),mimilopez (05-07-2012),mmzx (05-01-2012),mrspineda (05-02-2013),ptl2012 (08-12-2012),pumpkinpie_chocolata0 (04-09-2013),Swash2004 (09-01-2013)

Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 118
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    21 Hrs 22 Mins 44 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    47 Secs

Note on Expedites

I have posted before on the issue of asking for cases to be expedited. As you may know, I have helped many people Expedite their cases (and for a nominal fee I might add). However, I truly feel that far too many people ask for expedites when they are not warranted. I have also been told by the District Directors they feel the same. What this does is slow down the process for everyone while the Expedite that is not going to be granted is reviewed. All of my clients are experiencing hardship- all of them. When people ask for expedites that are not warranted they push everyone else's case back. I have to think about all of my clients and for that matter I also keep in mind all of the people suffering from separation from a loved one who are not my clients. Further, it is unethical to stretch the truth of the severity of a situation and make it appear serious enough for an Expedite when it is not. We are all in this together, and I always try to keep that in mind.
    Lizz Cannon, Attorney at Law
    (617)806-6450
    485 Mass. Ave. Suite 300
    Cambridge, MA 02139
    While I am an immigration attorney none of the above should be construed as legal advice but is simply a recitation of law or past experience. You should always consult with an attorney before acting on your case.

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lizzcannon For This Useful Post:

AraLizzy (01-07-2014),bphernandez (06-15-2013),candiathis (07-29-2012),jtorrijo (04-23-2013),mandm2011 (07-27-2012),Oksanasean (09-14-2012),sauda (05-14-2013),silverlining (02-09-2013)

Thread Information