Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Wk 3 Days 23 Hrs 44 Mins 11 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    9 Mins 39 Secs
    My Mood
    Stressed

Is this frivolous asylum claim?

court believe that the respondent has simply failed to file with in a reasonable period of the time and the court, there fore believe that he is statutorily ineligible for asylum. Even the respondent was eligible for asylum however court does not believe that he has made a case for it. this is what the judge said about my asylum. i was just wondering if court does not believe it and denied it, is it frivolous asylum claim? I just wanna know this beacause does this count like a big negative factor in waiver. What you guys think about it. any suggestion is appreciated.

Magnifici
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class1000 Experience Points5000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 986 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 1 Day 18 Hrs 14 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    7 Mins 42 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmnep View Post
    court believe that the respondent has simply failed to file with in a reasonable period of the time and the court, there fore believe that he is statutorily ineligible for asylum. Even the respondent was eligible for asylum however court does not believe that he has made a case for it. this is what the judge said about my asylum. i was just wondering if court does not believe it and denied it, is it frivolous asylum claim? I just wanna know this beacause does this count like a big negative factor in waiver. What you guys think about it. any suggestion is appreciated.
    NO, the judge has to actually use the word frivolous in their decision. It just means that you have not met the standard to have asylum approved. It does not mean you filed a frivolous case. A denied asylum claim is a negative factor in the waiver approval according to some lawyers specializing in waivers. In our case, even though my husband was ruled as not being credible for his asylum, the waiver was approved. See, even the words not credible do not rise to frivolous.

Best of luck to you
    601 and 212 waivers approved via Rome April 24, 2009
    Our Timeline

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momof1 For This Useful Post:

ktmnep (01-03-2012),TamHam (02-04-2012),TSK (01-03-2012)

Illustrissimi
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 126
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,871 Times in 1,242 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Wk 4 Days 15 Hrs 23 Mins 22 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    10 Mins 13 Secs
    No. You should have known if the finding of frivolous claims has been made. You should have received a notice of the consequences of filing a frivolous claim; the IJ should have made a specific finding that you knowingly made a frivolous application; there should have been a sufficient evidence that you fabricated a material fact; you should have been given the opportunity to explain each discrepancy and inplausibility that form the basis of a frivolous finding; you should have been told you were found to have violated the Section 208(d)(6) of the INA or 8 C.F.R. 1208.20.

---------- Post added at 10:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 AM ----------

ooops, sorry. Typing while momof1 is posting.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JMRJ For This Useful Post:

ktmnep (01-03-2012),TamHam (02-04-2012)

Super Moderator
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second ClassNew Achievement!10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,142 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 22 Hrs 57 Mins 53 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    27 Mins 12 Secs
    Ditto.

If the judge did not specifically find your claim to be frivolous, it was not.

But let me just add that filing a frivolous asylum claim bars you from most immigration relief in the future, but a denied asylum claim that is not frivolous, can still be a negative factor in your waiver case. We have seen some consulates take this approach more than others- from what I have seen personally, it has seemed to be a negative factor for persons applying from Eastern Europe, but less of an issue for people applying through consulates in the Americas. Not an impossible obstacle to overcome, but depending on where you are filing through, this may have an impact.

Good luck.
    Need help? Start by reading here:
    Don't understand the process?
    Read this:
    Help! My foreign spouse or fiance is/was present in the US illegally. What do I do?
    Don't understand about 3 year, 10 year & lifetime bans?
    Read this:
    EWI (Entering Without Inspection), Bans and more (Spanish Version Included)
    Need an Attorney? Immigration law is federal, and your attorney does not need to be local
    Read this:
    Attorneys recommended by I2US members
    Need to write a Hardship Letter for CDJ?
    Read this:
    Examples of CIUDAD JUAREZ Approved Hardship Letters
    After you have your greencard:
    Remember to keep your address current with USCIS- Online Form Here

Your Rights and Responsibilities as a Legal Permanent Resident

Our timeline (K-3) from 'undocumented' to Legal Permanent Resident! We did it!

*Nothing I say should be considered legal advice. What you are reading in the post above is not legal advice. No one should act upon any information obtained from this site without seeking the opinion of a licensed attorney. Please do not PM me with routine procedure questions- post in the open forum and contribute to our knowledge base.*

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Imp For This Useful Post:

ktmnep (01-03-2012),TamHam (02-04-2012)

Clarissimi
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 365
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Overdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Tagger First ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,807 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Time Online
    3 Mths 2 Wks 1 Day 7 Hrs 2 Mins 27 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Hr 44 Mins 15 Secs
    My Mood
    Busy
    We just overcame an untimely denied asylum in our waiver which led to my husband being deported (we overcame that too!). My suggestion: Hold onto your decisions and be prepared in your HSL to at least touch on WHY it was filed untimely. My husband filed before we met, used every motion he could and I included the IJ decisions where the untimely filing was pointed out and other case errors. It can be done.
    *Please forgive any errors in punctuation, capitalization, spelling or grammar as I am probably one handed typing holding a baby.*

February 2001 - Hubby entered on B1/B2 visa
    April 6, 2010 - Picked up by ICE
    Jan 17, 2012 - (8 months and 12 days from receipt to approval)
    March 5, 2012 - Back home! (1 year and 11 months after deportation)

G's I-601 and I-212 Timeline

I am NOT a lawyer. Please do not take my word as legal advice.

Thread Information