Time Online
    1 Day 16 Hrs 29 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Min 35 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow

Moving to Tijuana

Hi there,

After much deliberation, and staying put for awhile, my husband and I have decided to move to Tijuana (and comute to San Diego to work). However, a lot of the info we got from blogs/forums is outdated so we are asking people that are out there right now to provide us with any info they can share about moving there and getting prepared for it. We will be moving in the first few months of 2012, which is really close. It will be my husband, my almost 14 month old and I.
    We think Otay will be our new home, we don't know much about it but if you do please comment about it.

Any info is welcome but I am interested in these things in particular.

How much you guys spend on average weekly or monthly in gas expenses crossing the border to work on San Diego. Be sure to say if you have a SENTRI or if you use ready lane please. Also, it would help if you specify where you commute to and from and where you cross Otay or SY)

Where do you do the grocery shopping? How much do you spend? Is is better to do it in Tijuana or San Diego?

What are some things that you did not think about when moving that would have made a difference preparing for the move?

What is there to do over there on the weekends?
    Again, any info is welcome!

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 158
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredCreated Blog entryTagger Second Class1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!
    Level
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Time Online
    6 Days 22 Hrs 26 Mins 51 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    6 Mins 25 Secs
    Quote Originally Posted by DEEdee View Post
    Hi there,

After much deliberation, and staying put for awhile, my husband and I have decided to move to Tijuana (and comute to San Diego to work). However, a lot of the info we got from blogs/forums is outdated so we are asking people that are out there right now to provide us with any info they can share about moving there and getting prepared for it. We will be moving in the first few months of 2012, which is really close. It will be my husband, my almost 14 month old and I.
    We think Otay will be our new home, we don't know much about it but if you do please comment about it.

Any info is welcome but I am interested in these things in particular.

How much you guys spend on average weekly or monthly in gas expenses crossing the border to work on San Diego. Be sure to say if you have a SENTRI or if you use ready lane please. Also, it would help if you specify where you commute to and from and where you cross Otay or SY)

Where do you do the grocery shopping? How much do you spend? Is is better to do it in Tijuana or San Diego?

What are some things that you did not think about when moving that would have made a difference preparing for the move?

What is there to do over there on the weekends?
    Again, any info is welcome!
    I have lived in TJ for a about 1 1/2 yrs now and I would love to give you all the information I possibly can. I cross everyday for work to San Diego so I can also give you a little insight on how that works to. PM so we can swap information.

Here is a little bit of info:

*I live about 10 mins from the Otay border.
    *I cross to the U.S. through Otay but I go back home to Mexico through San Ysidro border crossing.
    *Ready Lane
    *Crossing fluxuates as little as 15 mins to 2 hrs. You have to be very open minded and patient...
    *I have a p.o. box in San Diego where I recieve all my mail.
    *85% of my grocery shopping is done in San Diego. I have found it to be cheaper than in Mexico and the stores have what we are used to.
    *Otay is a good place to live.
    * There are lots of things to do on the weekends and very affordable.. Movies, beaches, pier, Ensenada, Beautiful Parks, Mountains, Water park, Shopping, the biggest and best swap meets ever, camping, concerts.... note: this is not in any typical order.. lol
    *I have a pretty big family so I am not going to get into how much I spend on groceries.
    *I spend about $50 weekly crossing back and forth from work. Not including weekend excursions.

Again, I am more then happy to help you out with anyother questions you need and in helping make this as smooth as possible for you and your family!!!
    1976 - Entered US with passport
    1981 - Recieved Permanent Residence
    1994 - Charged with AF
    4/1998- Met Eachother
    3/1999- First child together born
    2/2004- Married
    1/2010 - Taken into ICE custody
    2/2010 - Hired criminal and immigration lawyers
    3/30/2010 - deportation due to crime committed in 1994.
    4/1/2010 - Husband deported to Mexico
    4/1/2010 - Me and the kids moved to Tijuana to all be together

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Three Friends1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 7 Hrs 33 Mins 33 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Min 43 Secs
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I usally go to tj with my fiance 2 or 3 days a week and cross back usually after 8pm (when the border line has gone down). We live about 10 min away from the SY border so thats were I usually cross. We rent my uncles apartment near fundadores. I currently just help my sister babysit my nephews. I stay in San Diego during the week and stay in Tijuana friday night thru monday. Tuesday mornings I come back to San Diego and back to Tj friday afternoons. So far, the only cheapest thing I have found in tj is the rent. Other than that, doing your grocery shopping, or clothes shoping is better to be done in San Diego. Otay is a very safe area but if you do your research other places are great too. I know that by the Hypodromo (by the xolos soccer stadium) its a very nice place. It looks like a US type of neighborhood.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Hrs 26 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Secs
    My Mood
    Happy
    Hello! I realize that I am probably a little late on this post but I'll give you my info just in case.

I moved here to TJ in July 2011 (34 weeks pregnant) because my significant other was deported from the good ol US.

We've made our home in Playas De Tijuana. Its very nice and comfy. Its like its own little Community. I've been told it's more expensive (as far as rent) but that's because you're right by the ocean ( Playas - beaches) but compared to the US its still rather cheap. We pay 600/month for a 3 bed 2 bath house but its all new and very pretty. Utilities are cheap even for my family of 4.

Usually we do grocery shopping in both Tijuana and SD. Most things are cheaper in SD I believe.

The border wait right now is pretty bad. For me it has ranged anywhere from 45 minutes to 4 hours and that is what I hadn't expected when I thought about living here. But I am stuck in the regular lthatanes most of the time and ready lanes haven't made too much of a difference but that just my opinion. SENTRI would be fantastic but I also did not know that they reject people who have spouses that were deported because you are 'high risk' but I think I'm going to applyanyway. If you have or haven't moved here yet you are more than welcome to PM me and I'd be glad to help you out with whatever I can. Good luck to you!

---------- Post added at 03:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

That was supposed to say the regular 'lanes' sorry. Its hard on these little touch screen phones sometimes lol

Clarissimi
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 8 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    38 Mins 35 Secs
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Look into the pp card, the wait in otay went down from 2hrs+ on Sundays to less than 1 hr. everyone who has the pp card can vouch that it's a good card. I believe sy Poe is opening a RFID lane soon if not open now.
    He will prepare the way before me - Mal 3:1
    I have everything because I stand complete in Christ

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registeredNew Achievement!1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    1 Day 16 Hrs 29 Mins 18 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    1 Min 35 Secs
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Thank you all for the input. I had not checked in here for some time. But I appreciate all the help.

Our lease in our apt. is up in 4 months and we are still gathering as much info as we can. Our plan is to buy a motorcycle...well more like a scooter. One of the ones that are allowed on the freeway. My husband is not very patient at all. He even struggles with traffic here.. lol

We are a bit nervous about the move. Mostly because we don't know what to expect. Hearing about it is not the same as living there. Plus, last year we moved to Chicago (From San Diego) and it was super hard not knowing people, transitioning and all that, and becoming parents for the first time. I think before we would have just taken the risk without thinking too much about it. But, after that move and then moving back to San Diego it feels like you failed one time and now this move we really don't want to screw it up. Not to mention that when we move, there is no going back...

Anyways, my husband has been to Tijuana twice just to go to the airport. But, never to actually look around. So we plan on him going to Tijuana to see apts. and houses and see what he likes before the move. So we have a place secured. Also, we are hiring a company to move our stuff down there, have not gotten the estimate yet. But, will update for anyone planning on moving there.

Another thing I was wondering about is if you guys look like you are not mexican. Have you gotten different kind of treatment.
    My husband is black and I am mexican. I was talking to my mom, who lives close to Mexico city. And, she told me that recently she has seen more black people than, say 10 years ago, which was about 2 in the whole city. Mainly from Jamaica. But, she said that mexicans down there sometimes say racist comments out loud and stare and all. I know TJ is very close to the US. and it might be different there. Have any of you had any experience with discrimination?

From what Flilly said it looks like we would have fun on the weekend : ) That part I am excited about! Finally being free to travel without fear wherever we please. Except the US. lol

Even though, I am a very anxious and don't know what my reaction will be. I have not been to Mexico since I was 13.

Anyways, I was all over the place with this post. That's how my mind is right now.lol Hope to hear from you guys and will update as soon as I know more about this move in order to help out those of you who are also relocating to Tijuana.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    250 Experience PointsNew Achievement!1 year registered

Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    5 Hrs 26 Mins 38 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    17 Secs
    My Mood
    Happy
    Hi DeeDee! I sent you a PM about some of my experiences here in tj. I am white , husband is mexican. I have seen white people and black people here in TJ.. Also asians. I saw a black couple in my old condo that had moved in or were staying with friends and they were actually from the US I assume because they spoke english and very little spanish. I see maybe amish? people here frequently. They shop at Calimax and wear the different looking clothes. I think they are mennonites maybe? Well I havent ever seen any racism yet but I think some of the "upper class" locals can be quite stuck up sometimes but they act that way to everyone lol. That's just my experience though. We live in Playas. I try to avoid downtown TJ when I can, it's very busy and crowded

Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassNew Achievement!1000 Experience PointsThree FriendsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    6 Days 1 Hr 16 Mins 26 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    5 Mins 36 Secs
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but Im thinking of moving to Tj where did you look for a place to live. I will be alone so Im looking at a room for rent maybe or a studio.

Clarissimi
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 285
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassOverdrive1000 Experience PointsNew Achievement!Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,974 Posts
    Time Online
    1 Mth 1 Wk 4 Days 17 Hrs 8 Mins 57 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    38 Mins 35 Secs
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Melie View Post
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but Im thinking of moving to Tj where did you look for a place to live. I will be alone so Im looking at a room for rent maybe or a studio.
    Craigslist will give you a start and an idea of how much places cost. We were blessed to find our place from Craigslist.
    He will prepare the way before me - Mal 3:1
    I have everything because I stand complete in Christ

Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 41
    Achievements:
    New Achievement!Three Friends1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Indiana (Wife currently in Mexico and Husband currently working in Alaska)
    Level
    Thanks
    Time Online
    6 Days 6 Hrs 26 Mins 23 Secs
    Avg. Time Online
    8 Mins 44 Secs
    My Mood
    Confused

Tijuana People...Please Chime In...

So I am considering or should I say trying to convince the hubbi to let me move to TJ while I wait out my referral approval. Questions are...

How much for a really really nice 2 bedroom apt?
    If possible beach view/ in front of beach or at least furnished?
    Most important of all....Hospitals?! Thoughts on the hospitals....

I am pregnant with hubbi and my first.....it's a possibility that the little one could be born here so I want to be prepared.

Thanks everyone! Feel free to give me any more info!
    1990 Wife (ME) EWI at approx 2 years of age
    7/10/10 Married (civil ceremony)
    1/17/11 Notice of Action Received I-797C
    5/23/11 I-130 Approved
    9/20/11 NVC confirmed they have all documents needed
    10/4/11 NVC confirmed VISA appointment (scheduled for Nov 8)
    11/5/11 Finger Print Appointment @ 9:20 am ----> was out around 10:00 am
    11/8/11 Visa Appointment @ 11:15 am ----> was out around 2:15 pm (denied but eligible for waiver)
    1/10/12 Waiver Appointment Attended at 8:00 am ----> I was out within 30 minutes
    1/26/12 Found out we are expecting
    2/15/12 Referred
    5/18/12 Sent Add. Evidence
    7/12/12 Approval Letter Date
    7/16/12 Rec'vd "We Are Pleased" email
    7/20/12 Rec'vd Approval Letter From Anaheim!
    8/01/12 In The System
    8/06/12 Sent PP, Medical and IL via DHL to Consulate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information